Graduate Student Fellowships
Fellowships in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign can be divided into four categories - Entering Fellowships; Outside Fellowships; Industrial Fellowships; and Endowed Fellowships. Students prefer fellowship support because they are not required to perform any service for the funds. They are, therefore, able to spend all of their time working toward completion of their degree.
- Entering fellowships
- Fellowships for current students
- Outside fellowships
- Graduate College fellowships
Applications for Illinois ECE fellowships open in January. Graduate students who wish to apply should watch My.ECE and their email for more information. For more information, please contact Pascal Youakim or stop in the ECE Advising Office in 2120 ECE Building.
To be considered for an entering fellowship, it is not necessary to submit a financial aid application. Applicants are automatically considered for fellowships based on their Application for Admission and supporting documents.
- Illinois Distinguished Fellowships
- ECE Distinguished Fellowships
- Dilip and Sandhya Sarwate Graduate Fellowships
- John Bardeen Fellowship in ECE
- SURGE Fellowships
Fellowships for current students
The Department and College of Engineering have a number of endowed fellowships which are awarded to students based on merit. These are smaller fellowships intended to supplement assistantships. Applications are solicited from students and faculty and the Department's Graduate Fellowship Committee makes selects the recipient. These fellowships are for one year.
- A.R. "Buck" Knight Fellowship
- Dan Vivoli Endowed Fellowship
- Dr. Ok Kyun Kim Fellowship
- E. A. Reid Fellowship
- ECE Distinguished Research Fellowship
- Harriett and Robert Perry Fellowship Award
- Hong, McCully, and Allen Fellowship
- James M. Henderson Fellowship
- Joan and Lalit Bahl Fellowship
- Linda Su-Nan Chang Sah Doctoral Fellowship
- Nick and Katherine Holonyak, Jr. Graduate Student Fellowship
- Professor Kung Chie Yeh Endowed Fellowship
- Rambus Computer Engineering Fellowship
- Sundaram Seshu International Student Fellowship
* Must be nominated to be considered for this fellowship.
These are fellowships awarded to graduate students by outside groups, usually in a national competition. The Department encourages its own students to apply for these prestigious fellowships. Most of them cover three to five years of graduate work.
- Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship (DOE CSGF)
- Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowships for Minorities
- Fulbright Scholar
- Hertz Foundation Fellowships
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowships
- National Physical Science Consortium
- National Science Foundation Fellowships