Sundaram Seshu International Student Fellowship
In April of 1966 a fund was set up by Dr. Lily Seshu in memory of her husband Dr. Sundaram Seshu, a distinguished former member of the ECE faculty. This fund was established to support "a foreign student in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science who is of Asian origin, of outstanding promise and in need of financial support." In 1982 the fellowship was switched to Electrical Engineering exclusively by Dr. Seshu. It was also changed to support "Academically outstanding students, preferably, but not invariably, from abroad."
The awardees are selected using the following criteria:
- You must be a student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, enrolled in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- High scholastic achievement
- Passed the qualifying exam and well into the PhD research
- Preference to be given to foreign students of Asian origin
- Applicants must not be graduating before May of the next calendar year
- Applications for the fellowship may be submitted online. The application period will be advertised on My.ECE during the Spring semester.
The Department's Fellowship Committee reviews the nominations and makes the recommendation to the Department.
Past Recipients of the Award
|2018||Ashok Makkuva, Rui Su|
|2010||Jihyuk Choi, Seung Hoon-Sung|
|2008||Yu Ru, Behzad Sharif|
|2006||Ananya Sen Gupta|
|2004||Ashish Jagmohan, Yan Sun|
|2001||Xiuquan Ji, Minghai Liu|
|1996||Krishna Ratakonda, Shu Tao|
|1992||H-J Liaw, Ram Charan|
|1986||Hao Ling, Jean-Frederic Wagen|
|1985||Charles C. Hsu|
|1984||Steven J. Franke|
|1970||Raj K. Varshney|