Probation and Drop Rules
Probation and Drop Rules and Advice
Students who have been dropped should consult with the Associate Dean in the Office of Academic Programs, 206 Engineering Hall.
Summary of Probation and Drop Rules
|Probation Rule||Why you are on probation||To avoid being dropped||Drop Rule|
|Semester GPA less than 1.0 – drop rule, no probation||Not Possible||17|
|1A||Semester GPA less than 2.0||GPA of 2.0 or better in next semester||17|
|1B||Cumulative GPA between 1.75 and 1.99||GPA of 2.25 or better in next semester||17|
|1C||Cumulative GPA less than 1.75||GPA of 2.33 or better in next semester||17|
|1E, 1G or 1H||Dean's Prerogative
"almost dropped, last chance"
(code depends on GPA to achieve)
|Meet specified GPA||18|
|1P||Departmental probation||Meet specified conditions||18|
|1T||TGPA less than 2.0
(Technical GPA = cumulative GPA
in all ECE courses except ECE 316)
|Bring TGPA over 2.0||18|
|2.25 GPA Rule Courses||This is not a probation rule. However, you may not sign up for ECE 329, 385, 413, 340, etc. if your GPA is less than 2.25 in core courses||Retake courses to bring their average over 2.25. No drop action|
Technical GPA Probation
Definition of Technical Grade Point Average (TGPA): The average of all ECE classes except ECE 316.
|Cumulative: Adding 1 class at a time (Bold: end result per semester)|
|Class||Hrs||Letter Grade||Num. Grade||Num. Pts||Points Relative to 2 Base (/C)||Hrs||Num. Pts||TGPA||Points Relative to 2 Base (/C)|
|ECE 110||4||C||2||8||0||4||8||2.000||0.000||Semester 1|
|ECE 210||4||D||1||4||-4||12||20||1.667||-4.000||Semester 2|
|ECE 329||3||C+||2.333||7||1||21||37||1.762||-5.000||Semester 3|
|ECE XXX||4||B+||3.333||13.333||5.332||30||59||1.967||-1.000||Semester 4|
*The student repeated ECE 329 without “grade replacement”. The grade is not replaced but counts as if another ECE class has been taken.
* The student is (at least) on 1T probation for two semesters in a row (2, and 3) because the TGPA is below 2.0.
* The student is on the drop list for semester 3 (did not raise TGPA above 2.0): the case is individually reviewed by the chief adviser.
* Should the student be allowed to continue, he/she needs a B in 6.33 hours of ECE classes to get a TGPA of 2, which is achieved in an hypothetical additional semester with 4 hours of B + [4*1.33 (1.33 above a C) = +5.33], and 1 hour of B [1*1.0 (1.0 above a C) = +1].
Could the situation have been prevented?
* The C grade in ECE 110 predicts low grades in ECE classes for semester 2; three ECE classes was not a good idea, and ECE 210 and ECE 329 should not be taken together (as indicated by the pre-requisite prescribed for ECE 329).
* the D- grade in ECE 329 predicts the combination ECE 329+340 will be difficult in semester 3; the student should have postponed ECE 440.