Social Sciences, Humanities, and Gen Ed Requirements
Undergraduate Advising: Social Sciences, Humanities, and GenEd Requirements
18 Hrs of Social Sciences and Humanities:
All ECE students need to take 18 hrs of Social Sciences and Humanities courses distributed as:
- 6 hours of Social and Behavioral Science electives (called Campus SS)
- 6 hours of Humanities and the Arts electives (called Campus Humanities)
- 6 more hours of electives (called Liberal Arts Electives):
- selected from the Campus Gen Ed lists
- or from the supplemental Engineering College list of Liberal Education electives
- can be taken Credit/NoCredit
These 18 hours can also be used to satisfy the additional Campus Gen Ed Requirements described next (see Helpful Hints below).
Additional Gen Ed Requirements:
- 1 Advanced Composition course
- Cultural Studies:
- 1 Non-Western Culture course
- 1 Western/Comparative Culture course
- 1 US Minority course (new for students entering Fall 2018 and later)
- Three years of a single foreign language studied in high school will meet this requirement.
- Alternatively, you need to take a third-semester level foreign language course in college.
- College language courses may be counted for Liberal Arts Electives.
- Go to 206 Engr. Hall to have your language credit verified.
Gen Ed courses (including Campus SS and Humanities) MUST be taken for a letter grade.
- Make your electives count twice (or even three times!) Example: History 140 counts as Campus Humanities, other SSH, Western Culture, and Advanced Composition --- see example checklists.
- If you think you should have Gen Ed credit and don't, see the Deans in 206 Engineering Hall.
- Many Illinois community colleges have courses that will satisfy Campus Gen Ed credit.
The remaining elements of Campus Gen Ed Requirements are fulfilled in ECE as follows:
- Composition I: Rhet 105 (alternatively Rhet 101+2; Com111+112; ESL 111+112; ESL 115) --- this is a required course in the freshman year. See https://catalog.illinois.edu/general-information/ .
- Natural Sciences and Technology and Quantitative Reasoning: Your required technical courses meet these requirements many times over.
Michael L Oelze
ECE Office of Student Affairs
2120 ECE Building
Hours: Weekdays 8am-12pm, 1-5pm
PH: (217) 333-0716
FAX: (217) 333-8582