E. A. Reid Fellowship
In 1983 Mrs. Nell W. Reid established the Ernest A. Reid Fellowship Award in Honor of her husband who taught in our department from 1917 to 1956. The fund was set up to encourage graduate students pursuing the PhD to consider an academic career. It is the donor's desire that "deserving...students interested in pursuing a course of study resulting in teaching of electrical engineering" be given preference.
- You must be a student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, enrolled in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- Academic performance as demonstrated by (but not restricted to) coursework and grades, recommendations, and previous recognition (awards).
- Demonstrated interest in engineering education, including teaching experience in the classroom, laboratory or as a tutor; extracurricular teaching, such as demonstrations to high schools, scout troops or other outreach; service to the community which promotes technical awareness; and research or other outreach activities promoting engineering education.
- Research accomplishments, ability or potential as evidenced by publications, presentations, letter of recommendation, and the student's essay.
- Assessment of the student's commitment to and potential for contributing to engineering education based on the student's essay, letters of recommendation, and previous performance.
- Applicants must not be graduating before May of the next calendar year.
- Applications for the fellowship may be submitted online and will include an essay of approximately one page by the student nominee. The essay should describe the student's career goals, how these goals will impact engineering education, and how the student's PhD program will help accomplish those goals.
- The application period will be advertised on My.ECE during the Spring semester.
The Department fellowship committee reviews the applications and selects the recipient.
The recipient(s) will be recognized during an annual Student Awards Banquet. All student recipients are featured on the second floor of the ECE Building's Student Honors Wall.
Past Recipients of the Award
|2019-2020||Corey Snyder, Sakshi Srivastava|
|2018-2019||Aditi Udupa, Carl William Pearson, Pouyan Karimi, Fu Chen Hsiao|
|2016-2017||Christopher Barth, Zichao Ye|
|2015-2016||Jacob Bryan, Xu Chen|
|2014-2015||Michael Jo, Matthew Magill, Steven McKeown, Tan Nguyen, Luke Pfister|
|2013-2014||Te-Wei Chang, Eric Iverson, Xichen Jian, Ali Khanafer|
|2012-2013||Sudipta Dutta, Yen-Wei Huang, Mustafa Mir, Zhida Xu|
|2011-2012||Amir Arbabi, Katherine Rogers, John Stratton, Quanyan Zhu|
|2010-2011||Hyunjong Jin, Paul Tchertchian, Jayakrishnan (Jay) Unnikrishnan|
|2009-2010||Geoffrey Herman, Kevin Lin, Mohamed Mohamed, Alexandros Papakonstantinou|
|2008-2009||Che Lin, Rui Wang|
|2007-2008||Jonathan Holm, Tung Le, Joseph Tate|
|2006-2007||Maokun Li, Shreyas Sundaram|
|2004-2005||Marco Amrhein, Robert Balog|
|2002-2003||Ronald Barnes, Joseph Mossoba|
|2001-2002||Jill Nelson, Sopan Joshi|
|2000-2001||James Melody, Trong Nguyen|
|1999-2000||Daniel A. Connors|
|1994-1995||Jay Kruse; Gabriel Cueva|
|1988-1989||Mariessa Crow, Robert Veillette, Jr.|