- Electrical and Computer Engineering
Primary Research Area
- Biomedical Imaging, Bioengineering, and Acoustics - Biosensors and bioelectronics
For more information
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 2000.
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 2005.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and and Engr., Washington University in St. Louis, 2008 - 2014
- Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science and and Engr., Washington University in St. Louis, 2014 - 2016
- Associate Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engr., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2016 - present
- Analog integrated circuits
- Biosensors and bioelectronics
- Beyond CMOS
- Electronics, Plasmonics, and Photonics
- Healthcare and medical technologies
- Human computer interactions
- Machine vision
- Medical imaging
- Micro & nanoelectromechanical M/NEMS integrated systems
- Nanomedicine and bio-nanotechnology
- Photonics: optical engineering and systems
- Point-of-care diagnostics
- Sensing systems
Selected Articles in Journals
- T. York, S. B. Powell, S. Gao, L. Kahan, T. Charanya, D. Saha, N. W. Roberts, T. W. Cronin, J. Marshall, S. Achilefu, S. P. Lake, B. Raman, and V. Gruev, "Bioinspired polarization imaging sensors: from circuits and optics to signal processing algorithms and biomedical applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 102, pp. 1450-1469, 2014.
- G. M. Calabrese, P. C. Brady, V. Gruev, and M. E. Cummings, "Polarization signaling in swordtails alters female mate preference," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 111, pp. 13397-13402, 2014.
- S. B. Powell and V. Gruev, "Calibration methods for division-of-focal-plane polarimeters," Optics Express, vol. 21, pp. 21039-21055, 2013.
- V. Gruev, R. Perkins, and T. York, "CCD polarization imaging sensor with aluminum nanowire optical filters," Optics Express, vol. 18, pp. 19087-19094, 2010.
- S. B. Mondal, S. Gao, N. Zhu, G. P. Sudlow, K. Liang, A. Som, W. J. Akers, R. C. Fields, J. Margenthaler, and R. Liang, "Binocular Goggle Augmented Imaging and Navigation System provides real-time fluorescence image guidance for tumor resection and sentinel lymph node mapping," Scientific Reports, vol. 5, 2015.
- S. B. Mondal, S. Gao, N. Zhu, L. Habimana-Griffin, W. J. Akers, R. Liang, et al., "Optical See-Through Cancer Vision Goggles Enable Direct Patient Visualization and Real-Time Fluorescence-Guided Oncologic Surgery," vol. 0, pp. 1-7, 2017.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems
- 2016 IEEE Donald G. Fink Award (May 2016)
- IEEE ISCAS Best Student Paper Award ( May 2017)
- IEEE ISCAS Best Paper in the Sensory Systems Technical Track (May 2017)
- ECE 110 - Introduction to Electronics
- ECE 437 - Sensors and Instrumentation