- Ph.D., MIT, 2003
- Sc.B., Brown University, 1998
- Associate Professor, Yale University, Electrical Engineering, 1/2013- 8/2016
- Assistant Professor, Yale University, Electrical Engineering, 1/2008-12/2012
- Semiconductor materials
- Beyond CMOS
- Electronics, Plasmonics, and Photonics
- Photonics: optical engineering and systems
- Semiconductor devices and manufacturing
- Solar and renewable technology
Selected Articles in Journals
- M. Vaisman, S. Fan, K. Nay Yaung, E. Perl, D. Martín-Martín, Z. J. Yu, M. Leilaeioun, Z. C. Holman, and M. L. Lee, "15.3%-Efficient GaAsP solar cells on GaP/Si templates," ACS Energy Letters, 2, 1911–1918 (2017)
- D. Jung, J. Faucher, S. Mukherjee, A. Akey, D. J. Ironside, M. Cabral, X. Sang, J. Lebeau, S. R. Bank, T. Buonassisi, O. Moutanabbir, and M. L. Lee, "Highly tensile-strained Ge/InAlAs nanocomposites," Nature Communications, 8, 14204 (2017)
- A. Y. Liu, J. Peters, X. Huang, D. Jung, J. Norman, M. L. Lee, A. C. Gossard, and J. E. Bowers. "Electrically pumped continuous-wave 1.3 um quantum-dot lasers epitaxially grown on on-axis (001) GaP/Si." Optics letters 42, 338-341, (2017).
- D Jung, L Yu, S Dev, D Wasserman, ML Lee, "Room-temperature mid-infrared quantum well lasers on multi-functional metamorphic buffers," Applied Physics Letters 109 (21), 211101 (2016).
- B. Gai, Y. Sun, H. Lim, H. Chen, J. Faucher, M. L. Lee, and J. Yoon. "Multilayer-Grown Ultrathin Nanostructured GaAs Solar Cells as a Cost-Competitive Materials Platform for III-V Photovoltaics." ACS nano 11, 992-999 (2017).
- J Faucher, Y Sun, D Jung, D Martin, T Masuda, and ML Lee"High-efficiency AlGaInP solar cells grown by molecular beam epitaxy,"Applied Physics Letters 109 (17), 172105 (2016)
- K. Nay Yaung, M. Vaisman, J. Lang, M. L. Lee, "GaAsP solar cells on GaP/Si with low threading dislocation density," Applied Physics Letters, 109, 032107 (2016).
- C. J. K. Richardson and M. L. Lee, “Metamorphic epitaxial materials,” MRS Bulletin, 41, 193–198 (2016).
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students (Spring 2017)
- Ackerman Award for Teaching and Mentoring (Yale) (2015)
- Best student presentation award to advisee Michelle Vaisman for her talk, “Record-efficiency GaAsP Solar Cells Grown by MBE on GaP/Si,” North American Conference on Molecular Beam Epitaxy (2016)
- IBM Faculty Award (2016)
- Best student presentation award to advisee Joseph Faucher for his talk, “Initiation strategies for simultaneous control of antiphase domains and stacking faults in GaAs solar cells on Ge,” North American Conference on Molecular Beam Epitaxy (2015)
- Best student presentation award to advisee Kevin Nay Yaung for his talk, “Towards high efficiency GaAsP solar cells on (001) GaP/Si,” IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (2014)
- Best student presentation award to advisee Stephanie Tomasulo for her talk, “2.2 eV InGaP solar cells on GaP substrates,” IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (2013)
- Best poster prize to advisee Jordan Lang for “GaAsP solar cells grown on GaP/Si by molecular beam epitaxy,” IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (2013)
- Young Investigator Award, North American conference on Molecular Beam Epitaxy (2012)
- Best oral presentation award to advisee Joseph Faucher for his talk, “GaAsP solar cells on SiGe/Si virtual substrates with high open-circuit voltage,” Materials Research Society Fall meeting (2012)
- Best student presentation to advisee Christopher Yerino for his talk, “Tensile strained III-V quantum dots on a (110) surface,” Electronic Materials Conference (2012)
- Lange Lecturer in Materials (UCSB) (2012)
- DARPA Young Faculty Award (2011)
- Best student poster award to advisee Stephanie Tomasulo, “2.0 eV metamorphic InGaP solar cells grown by molecular beam epitaxy,” North American Conference on Molecular Beam Epitaxy (2010)
- NSF CAREER Award (2010)
- Early Career Author Award, RTI International (2007)
- Science and Engineering Annual Award, RTI International (2006)
- George E. Smith Best Paper Award, IEEE Electron Device Society (2005)
- Gold Award Winner, MRS Spring Meeting (2003)
- ECE 304 - Photonic Devices
- ECE 329 - Fields and Waves I
- ECE 340 - Semiconductor Electronics