Minjoo Lawrence Lee
Primary Research Area
- Microelectronics and Photonics
For more information
- Ph.D., MIT, 2003
- Sc.B., Brown University, 1998
- Associate Professor, Yale University, Electrical Engineering, 1/2013- 8/2016
- Assistant Professor, Yale University, Electrical Engineering, 1/2008-12/2012
- Microelectronics and Photonics
- Quantum nanostructures for electronics and photonics
- Semiconductor electronic devices
- Semiconductor lasers and photonic devices
- Semiconductor materials
- Beyond CMOS
- Electronics, Plasmonics, and Photonics
- Photonics: optical engineering and systems
- Semiconductor devices and manufacturing
- Solar and renewable technology
Selected Articles in Journals
- Fan, S., D. Jung, Y. Sun, B. D. Li, D. Martín-Martín and M. L. Lee (2019). "16.8%-Efficient n+/p GaAs Solar Cells on Si With High Short-Circuit Current Density." IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics.
- Gai, B., Y. Sun, H. Chen, M. L. Lee and J. Yoon (2018). "10-Fold-Stack Multilayer-Grown Nanomembrane GaAs Solar Cells." ACS Photonics 5(7): 2786--2790.
- Yerino, C. D., B. Liang, D. L. Huffaker, P. J. Simmonds and M. L. Lee (2017). "Review Article: Molecular beam epitaxy of lattice-matched InAlAs and InGaAs layers on InP (111)A, (111)B, and (110)." Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B, 35(1): 010801.
- Vaisman, M., S. Fan, K. Nay Yaung, E. Perl, D. Martín-Martín, Z. J. Yu, M. Leilaeioun, Z. C. Holman and M. L. Lee (2017). "15.3%-Efficient GaAsP Solar Cells on GaP/Si Templates." ACS Energy Letters 2(8): 1911-1918.
- Jung, D., J. Faucher, S. Mukherjee, A. Akey, D. J. Ironside, M. Cabral, X. Sang, J. Lebeau, S. R. Bank, T. Buonassisi, O. Moutanabbir and M. L. Lee (2017). "Highly tensile-strained Ge/InAlAs nanocomposites." Nature Communications 8: 14204.
- Yaung, K. N., M. Vaisman, J. Lang and M. L. Lee (2016). "GaAsP solar cells on GaP/Si with low threading dislocation density." Applied Physics Letters 109(3).
- Jung, D., L. Yu, S. Dev, D. Wasserman and M. L. Lee (2016). "Room-temperature mid-infrared quantum well lasers on multi-functional metamorphic buffers." Applied Physics Letters 109(21): 211101.
- Faucher, J., Y. Sun, D. Jung, D. Martin, T. Masuda and M. L. Lee (2016). "High-efficiency AlGaInP solar cells grown by molecular beam epitaxy." Applied Physics Letters 109(17): 172105.
- Lee, S.-M., A. Kwong, D. Jung, J. Faucher, R. Biswas, L. Shen, D. Kang, M. L. Lee* and J. Yoon* (2015). "High Performance Ultrathin GaAs Solar Cells Enabled with Heterogeneously Integrated Dielectric Periodic Nanostructures." ACS Nano 9(10): 10356-10365.
- Simmonds, P. J., C. D. Yerino, M. Sun, B. Liang, D. L. Huffaker, V. G. Dorogan, Y. Mazur, G. Salamo and M. L. Lee (2013). "Tuning Quantum Dot Luminescence Below the Bulk Band Gap Using Tensile Strain." ACS Nano 7(6): 5017-5023.
- Lang, J. R., J. Faucher, S. Tomasulo, K. N. Yaung and M. L. Lee (2013). "Comparison of GaAsP solar cells on GaP and GaP/Si." Applied Physics Letters 103(9): 092102.
- Tomasulo, S., K. N. Yaung and M. L. Lee (2012). "Metamorphic GaAsP and InGaP Solar Cells on GaAs." Photovoltaics, IEEE Journal of 2(1): 56-61.
- Engineering Council Outstanding Advisors List (Spring 2019)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students (Spring 2017)
- Ackerman Award for Teaching and Mentoring (Yale) (2015)
- Best student presentation award to advisee Pankul Dhingra for his talk, "InP Quantum Dots for Dislocation-tolerant, Visible Light Emitters on Si," North American Conference on Molecular Beam Epitaxy (2019)
- Best poster prize to advisee Yukun Sun for "2.0-2.2 eV AlGaInP solar cells grown by MBE," IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (2019)
- Best student presentation award to advisee Michelle Vaisman for her talk, “Record-efficiency GaAsP Solar Cells Grown by MBE on GaP/Si,” North American Conference on Molecular Beam Epitaxy (2016)
- IBM Faculty Award (2016)
- Best student presentation award to advisee Joseph Faucher for his talk, “Initiation strategies for simultaneous control of antiphase domains and stacking faults in GaAs solar cells on Ge,” North American Conference on Molecular Beam Epitaxy (2015)
- Best student presentation award to advisee Kevin Nay Yaung for his talk, “Towards high efficiency GaAsP solar cells on (001) GaP/Si,” IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (2014)
- Best student presentation award to advisee Stephanie Tomasulo for her talk, “2.2 eV InGaP solar cells on GaP substrates,” IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (2013)
- Best poster prize to advisee Jordan Lang for “GaAsP solar cells grown on GaP/Si by molecular beam epitaxy,” IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (2013)
- Young Investigator Award, North American conference on Molecular Beam Epitaxy (2012)
- Best oral presentation award to advisee Joseph Faucher for his talk, “GaAsP solar cells on SiGe/Si virtual substrates with high open-circuit voltage,” Materials Research Society Fall meeting (2012)
- Best student presentation to advisee Christopher Yerino for his talk, “Tensile strained III-V quantum dots on a (110) surface,” Electronic Materials Conference (2012)
- Lange Lecturer in Materials (UCSB) (2012)
- DARPA Young Faculty Award (2011)
- Best student poster award to advisee Stephanie Tomasulo, “2.0 eV metamorphic InGaP solar cells grown by molecular beam epitaxy,” North American Conference on Molecular Beam Epitaxy (2010)
- NSF CAREER Award (2010)
- George E. Smith Best Paper Award, IEEE Electron Device Society (2005)
- Gold Award Winner, MRS Spring Meeting (2003)
- ECE 304 - Photonic Devices
- ECE 329 - Fields and Waves I
- ECE 340 - Semiconductor Electronics
- ECE 444 - IC Device Theory & Fabrication