Kiruba Sivasubramaniam Haran
Primary Research Area
- Power and Energy Systems - Electrical machines and drive systems
For more information
- Ph.D., Electric Power Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (2000)
- B.Sc., Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria (1994)
- Electric transportation
- Electrical machines and drive systems
- Power and Energy Systems
- Autonomous vehicular technology, UAVs
- Electric transportation
- Solar and renewable technology
- Storage and conversion
Selected Articles in Journals
- Han-Wook Cho, Kiruba S. Haran, "Force Anaysis of Superconducting Coils in Actively Shielded Air-Core Superconducting Machines", IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, 28 (5), 2018
- Reed Sanchez, Andy Yoon, Xuan Yi, Yuanshan Chen Lijun Zheng, Kiruba Haran, "Mechanical Validation of High Power Density External Cantilevered Rotor", IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 54 (4), 2018.
- Chen, Y., Sanchez, R., Yoon, A. and Haran, K.S., "Mechanical Design Considerations of an “Iron-less”, High Specific Power Electric Machine", IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification. (2017)
- Loder, D., Feddersen, M., Sanchez, R., Haran, K., Sumption, M., Kovacs, C., Majoros, M., Collings, E.W., Doll, D., Peng, X. and Yue, J., "Demonstration of a Practical Nb3Sn Coil for an Actively Shielded Generator", IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, 27(4), pp.1-7. (2017)
- Harmukh, Sajal Kumar, Kiruba S. Haran, S. Salon, and Jan Stein. "Root Cause Analysis Of Arcing In Retaining Rings Of Turbogenerators." IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications (2016).
- K. S. Haran, D. Loder, T. O. Deppen and L. Zheng, "Actively Shielded High-Field Air-Core Superconducting Machines," in IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 98-105, (2016).
- Bray, J. W., R. Fair, and K. Haran. "Wind and Ocean Power Generators." Applied Superconductivity, IEEE Transactions on 24.3: 1-7. (2014)
- Stautner, W; Mine, S.; Sivasubramaniam, K.; Amm, K., “A Cryo-Free 10 T High-Field Magnet System for a Novel Superconducting Application—Experimental Results”, IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 22, no. 3, June 2012
- Sivasubramaniam, K.; Zhang, T.; Lokhandwalla, M.; Laskaris, E.T.; Bray, J.W.; Gerstler, B.; Shah, M.R.; Alexander, J.P., “Development of a High Speed HTS Generator for Airborne Applications”, IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Volume 19, Issue 3, Part 2, June 2009.
- Electric Motors. Electrify The Future Symposium. GE Research Center, Niskayuna, NY. 2018
- Electric Aircraft Seminar: Technological Challenges for Electric Aviation. MIT AeroAstro, Cambridge, MA. 2018
- Electric Propulsion For Commercial Transport Aircraft. Special Seminar. Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China. 2018
- High-Specific-Power Machines and Drives for Aircraft Propulsion. Special Seminar at the Center of Excellence in Energy Efficiency (EXCEN). Universidade Federal de Itajubá, Brazil. 2017
- Electric Propulsion for Commercial Transport Aircraft. Invited speaker seminar in Electrical and Computer Engineering. Concordia University, Montreal, Canada. 2017
- High Frequency Aircore Machine & Drive. Special Session on Hybrid Propulsion Concept Development for Transport Class Aircraft at AIAA SciTech, 2017.
- Keynote: Electric Propulsion for Commercial Transport Aircraft. IEEE ICIAfS, 2016.
- High specific power machines and drives for electric propulsion. AIAA Aircraft Electric/Hybrid-Electric Power & Propulsion Workshop, 2016.
- Superconducting machines for future electric aircraft. More Electric Aircraft USA, 2016.
- Key Electrical Technologies: Design and Test of Superconducting Electric Machines for Airborne Application. 2nd Bauhaus Luftfahrt Symposium “Aviation 2050 – Shaping the Future”, 2015.
- 1MW Non-cryogenic Motor. AFRL, Wright Patterson Air Force Base. 2015
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on: Electric and Hybrid Electric Propulsion for Aviation, IET Electric Power Applications Journal
- Editor, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 2015 -
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students - ECE 330 Electromechanics and Power Circuits (2016)
- AIAA Associate Fellow (2019)
- IEEE PES Distinguished Lecturer (2017)
- Grainger Associate (2016)
- Leading Edge Aeronautics Research for NASA Award (2015)
- IEEE Fellow (2014)
- GE Gold Medallion Patent Award (2013)
- GE Power Conversion Systems Technical Achievement Award (2010)
- GE Chief Engineers Award (2008)
- Hull Award, GE Global Research (2006)
- National Academy of Engineers' Frontiers of Engineering Symposium (2005)
- GE Power Systems Engineering Award (2002)
- Allen B. Dumont Prize, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (2000)
- ECE 330 - Power Ckts & Electromechanics
- ECE 431 - Electric Machinery
- ECE 445 - Senior Design Project Lab
- ECE 598 - Electrical Machine Design
- ECE 598 - Topics in Electromechanics