For more information
- PhD, Theoretical Solid State Physics 1978
Gregory Stilllman Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, UIUC
Professor of Physics. UIUC
Research Professor, Coordinator Science Laboratory, UIUC
Research Professor, F. Seitz Material Research Laboratory, UIUC
Research Professor, Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory, UIUC
2008- present Professor of Physics, University of Illinois
2003- present Gregory Stillman Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois
2000 Visiting Professor, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, Switzerland
1992 Visiting Professor, University of Tokyo
1991-present Professor, University of Illinois
1987-1991 Associate Professor, University of Illinois
1983-1987 Assistant Professor, University of Illinois
1981-1983 Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Illinois
- Adjunct Professor, University of Illinois in Chicago, 2011-present
- Research Professor, Frederic Seitz Materials Research Laboratory, 2008-present
- Professor, Physics (0%), 2008-present
- Gregory Stillman Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2003-present
- Visiting Professor, Ecole Polytechnique Federale De Lausanne (ePFL), Lausanne, Switzerland, 2000
- Visiting Professor, Hitachi LTD Quantum Materials Chair, University of Tokyo, 1992
- Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, 1991-Present
- Research Professor, Coordinated Science Laboratory, 1991-Present
Jean-Pierre Leburton received his Ph.D. from the University of Liege (Belgium) in 1978. He is a professor in the UIUC Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and a research professor in the Coordinated Science Laboratory. He is also a full-time faculty member of the Computational Electronics Group in the Beckman Institute.
Professor Leburton's expertise is the theory and simulation of nanoscale semiconductor devices and low-dimensional systems. His research focuses more specifically on transport and optical processes in semiconductor nanostructures such as quantum wells, quantum wires and quantum dots. Current research projects involve electronic properties of self-assembled dots for high performance lasers, single-electron charging and spin effects in quantum dots, modeling of nanocrystal floating gate flash memory devices, nanoscale Si MOSFET's and carbon nanotubes and graphene nanostructures. His research deals also with dissipative mechanisms involving electron-phonon interaction in nanostructures for mid- and far-infrared intra-band lasers. Approaches to these problems involve use of sophisticated numerical techniques such as Monte-Carlo simulation and advanced 3D self-consistent Schroedinger-Poisson model including non-equilibrium transport for full scale nanodevice modeling.In the last 18 years, he turned his interest toward the interaction between living systems and semiconductors to investigate programming and sensing biomolecules with nanoelectronics.
- Theory of Semiconductor Devices, Modeling and Simulation of Nanostructures, Electronic and Optical Properties of Heterostructures and Low Dimensional Systems, Transport in Quantum Structures and Carbon-based nanostructures, Electronic Properties, Charging Effects in Quantum Dots and Nanocrystals, Spin Effects in Nanostructures, Quantum computation and Quantum Information Processing, Nano-biotechnology.
- Advanced carbon-based materials and nanoscale devices
- Computational nanotechnology
- Device modeling
- Microelectronic and photonic device modeling
- Modeling and simulation of laser systems
- Nano-electronics and single electronics
- Quantum nanostructures for electronics and photonics
- Semiconductor electronic devices
- Semiconductor lasers and photonic devices
- Semiconductor materials
- Beyond CMOS
- Bioelectronics and Bioinformatics
- Charge particle physics and engineering
- Computational science and engineering
- Nanomedicine and bio-nanotechnology
- Semiconductor devices and manufacturing
Books Edited or Co-Edited (Original Editions)
- Jean-Pierre Leburton “Physical Models for Quantum Wires, Nanotubes and Nanoribbons” Jenny Stanford Publishing, Singapore (2021)
- Jean-Pierre Leburton “Physical Models for Quantum Dots” Jenny Stanford Publishing, Singapore (2021)
- S. Bandyopadhyay, M. Cahay and J.P. Leburton "“Contemporary Topics in Semiconductor Spintronics” , World Scientific Publishing Co, Singapore (2017)
- M. Cahay, M. Urquidi-Macdonald, S. Bandyopadhyay, P. Guo, H. Hasegawa, N. Koshida, J.P. Leburton, D.J. Lockwood, S. Seal, and A. Stella Proceedings of the International Symposium on “Nanoscale Devices, Materials, and Biological Systems: Fundamentals and Applicattions”, 206th Meeting of the Electrochemical Society, Honolulu, PV 2004-13, Publ. Electrochemical Society.
- M. Cahay, J.P. Leburton, D. J. Lockwood, S. Bandyopadhyay, N. Koshida, and M. Zacharias "Advanced Luminescent Materials and Quantum Confinement II," PV 2002-2009, Publisher Electochemical Society, 2002.
- M. Cahay, J.P. Leburton, D.J. Lockwood, S. Bandyopadhyay,and J.S. Harris, Quantum Confinement VI: Nanostructured Materials and Devices, with PV 2001-19, Publisher Electrochemical Society, 2001.
- M. Cahay, S. Bandyopadhyay, J.P. Leburton, D. J. Lockwood, N. Koshida, M. Meyyapan and T. Sakamoto "Advanced Luminescent Materials and Quantum Confinement" with PV 99-22, Publisher Electrochemical Society, 1999.
- M. Cahay, D. Lockwood, J.P. Leburton and S. Bandyopadhyay, 5th International Symposium on Quantum Confinement: Nanostructures, Publisher Electrochemical Society, 1998.
- M. Cahay, J. Leburton, D. Lockwood, and S. Bandyopadhyay, 4th International Symposium on Quantum Confinement: Nanoscale Materials, Devices and Systems, PV 97-11, Publisher Electrochemical Society, 1997.
- G. Abstreiter, A. Aydinli, and J. Leburton, Optical Spectroscopy of Low Dimensional Semiconductors, NATO ASI, Series E, 344 Ankara, Turkey, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.
- K. Ismail, S. Bandyopadhyay, and J. Leburton, Quantum Devices and Circuits, World Scientific, Singapore, 1996.
- K. Hess, J.P. Leburton and U. Ravaiol, Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Hot Carriers in Semiconductors (HCIS-9), Chicago, IL, 1995. Plenum 1996.
- S. Bandyopadhyay, M. Cahay, J.P. Leburton and M. Razeghi,Proceedings of the "3rd International Symposium on Quantum Confinement: Quantum Wires and Dots," 188th Meeting of the Electrochemical Society, Chicago, 1995, PV 95-17, Publ. Electrochemical Society. (1996)
- M. Cahay, S. Bandyopadhyay, J.P. Leburton, A. W. Kleinsasser and M. A. Osman, Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Quantum Confinement: Physics and Applications, 185th Meeting of the Electrochemical Society, San Francisco, CA, 1994.
- J. Leburton, J. Pascual, and C. Sotomayor-Torres , Phonons in Semiconductor Nanostructures, NATO ARW, Kluwer Publishing Company, 1993.
- K. Hess, U. Ravaioli, and J. Leburton, Computational Electronics Kluwer Publishing Company, 1990.
- listed in Professional Who's Who ( Branding Organization, 2018 edition)
- Listed in Who’s Who among Executives and Professionals (2010 edition)
- Listed in Manchester Who's Who, Honors Edition (2005-2006)
- Listed in Who's Who in finance and Business, 35th Edition (2005), 36th (2008-2009) and 37th editions
- Listed in Who’s Who in America, 58th, 61st & 64th Editions
- Listed in American Men and Women of Science, 20th& 21st Editions
- Listed in Who's Who in Science and Engineering, 4th, 5th, 8th 9th &10th Editions
- Listed in Who's Who in the World, 9th, 10th & 24th Editions
- Listed in Who's Who in American Education 5th, 6th 7th &8th Editions
- Keynote address at the Keynote Address, 1st International Conference on Contemporary Computing and Applications (ICCCA 2020)" Lucknow, India, February 5-7, 2020.
- Distinguished Lecture at Oregon IEEE Nanotechnology Council chapter Inaugural workshop, Portland, Oregon, Dec. 6, 2019.
- Keynote Address the XXXI IUPAP Conference on Computational Physics (CCP2019) the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, July 28-August 1, 2019
- Keynote address to the 6th International Conference and Exhibition on Advanced & Nano Materials (ICANM2018), Quebec City, Canada, August 6-8, 2018.
- Keynote Address to the International conference on advanced nanostructures (ICAN- 2018), Catholicate College, Pathanamthitta, Kerala, India, March 12-14th, 2018.
- Keynote Speech, Quantum Sensing and Nano-Electronics and Photonics, SPIE 2018, San Francisco, CA, Jan 27-Feb1, 2018
- Inaugural Montefiore Distinguished Lecture, Pennstate University, October 2002
- Member, New York Academy of Sciences 1996
- Hitachi LTD, Quantum Materials Chair 1992, University of Tokyo
- IEEE Nanotechnology Council, 2021 Pioneer Award (2020)
- Serendipity Award, Collaborative Conference on Materials Research (CCMR), Seoul, Korea (2019)
- Life Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) (2016)
- Illinois Proof of Concept (I-POC) award (2016)
- Finalist, 2013 Innovation Celebration for the Innovation Discovery Award, Champaign County, Il (2013)
- Royal Academy of Science, Letters and Fine Arts of Belgium, Associate (Foreign) Member (2011)
- IEEE Nanotechnology Council Distinguished Lecturer (2010-2011; 2013-2014&2015)
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics (2008)
- Best paper finalists, IEEE-NANO 2007, Hong-Kong, SAR, China (Aug 2-5, 2007)
- Quantum Devices Award (2004)
- Gold Medal for Scientific Achievement, 75th Anniversary of the Alumnus Association “ Les Amis de L’Universite de Liege”, Belgium (2004)
- Associate, Center for Advanced Study, University of Illinois, (1999-2000&2015-16)
- Fellow of the Electro Chemical Society (2005)
- Fellow of the Optical Society of America (OSA) (2001)
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancmeent of Science (AAAS) (2001)
- Fellow of the American Physical Society (APS) (1999)
- Fellow of the IEEE (1996)
Public Service Honors
- Chairman, IEEE Nanotechnology Council, Fellow Search Committee (2021-present)
- Chair, Young Scientist Award Committee, International Conference of Superlattices, Nanostructures and Nanodevices (ICSNN) (2010-present)
- Chairman, IEEE Nanotechnology Council Fellow evaluation Committee (2008-2009)
- Chair, "Modeling and Simulation" Technical sub-Committee, IEEE-Nanotechnology Research Council(NTC-TC-10) (2006-present)
- Selected Member, "Round Table" on the "Mobility of European Scientists" with the presence of His Majesty, King Albert II of Belgium, organized by the European Directorate for Science and Technology, Brussels, (2001)
- Chevalier Dans L'Ordre Des Palmes Academiques, (French-Government) (1993)
Recent Courses Taught
- ECE 340 - Semiconductor Electronics
- ECE 441 - Physcs & Modeling Semicond Dev
- ECE 500 U (ECE 500 U1, ECE 500 U2) - ECE Colloquium
- ECE 535 (PHYS 565) - Theory of Semicond & Devices