For more information
- Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, 2003
Dr. Sutton joined the Bioengineering Department at the University of Illinois in January, 2006. Dr. Sutton received a B.S. in General Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He earned M.S.'s in Biomedical and Electrical Engineering and a PhD in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Michigan in 2003. He has affiliations with the Beckman Institute, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, and the Neuroscience Program. His research interests are in developing magnetic resonance imaging acquisition, image reconstruction, and systems modeling approaches to understand brain function.
The human body is a complex of non-linear, adaptive systems upon which our lives rest. My objective in teaching is to push students to apply and extend their engineering tools to model, describe, and predict behavior of human physiology while gaining an appreciation for the limits of such models.
My research is focused on developing novel methods to image structure and physiological function with magnetic resonance imaging. Application areas include functional neuroimaging and dynamic imaging of muscle function in speech.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
During various disease states and even during healthy aging, the human brain undergoes dramatic changes in structural and functional organization, along with changes in metabolic support structures. Magnetic resonance imaging offers many windows into this changing physiology. Analysis of such changes requires applications of linear algebra and statistics upon very large data sets. Currently, there are positions for undergraduates to learn and apply structural analysis methodologies to disease populations such as multiple sclerosis.
- Neuromuscular coupling
- Image Reconstruction
- Magnetic Susceptibility
- Diffusion Weighted Imaging
- Dynamic Imaging
- Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Biomedical Imaging, Bioengineering, and Acoustics
- Biosensors and bioelectronics
- Bioelectronics and Bioinformatics
- Computational science and engineering
- Data/Information Science and Systems
- Healthcare and medical technologies
- Imaging science and systems
- Medical imaging
Selected Articles in Journals
- Larsen RJ, Gagoski B, Morton SU, Ou Y, Vyas R, Litt J, Grant PE, Sutton BP. Quantification of magnetic resonance spectroscopy data using a combined reference: Application in typically developing infants. NMR Biomed. 2021 Apr 28:e4520. doi: 10.1002/nbm.4520. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33913194
- Kim S, Kang JY, Balance WC, Sutton BP, Shin DH, Jang KH, Shin M, Kong H, Kim JW. Fabrication of cell penetrating peptide-conjugated bacterial cellulose nanofibrils with remarkable skin adhesion and water retention performance. Int J Pharm. 2021 May 1;600:120476. doi: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2021.120476. Epub 2021 Mar 16. PMID: 33737100
- Perez LM, Fang HY, Ashrafi SA, Burrows BT, King AC, Larsen RJ, Sutton BP, Wilund KR. Pilot study to reduce interdialytic weight gain by provision of low-sodium, home-delivered meals in hemodialysis patients. Hemodial Int. 2020 Nov 4;. doi: 10.1111/hdi.12902. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 33150681.
- Steinert SW, Daugherty AM, Shankar S, Schwarb H, Cerjanic A, Sutton BP, Arble EP. A performance-based measure of emotion response control: A preliminary MRI study. Scand J Psychol. 2021 Jan 6;. doi: 10.1111/sjop.12705. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 33403701.
- Fil JE, Joung S, Zimmerman BJ, Sutton BP, Dilger RN. High-resolution magnetic resonance imaging-based atlases for the young and adolescent domesticated pig (Sus scrofa). J Neurosci Methods. 2021 Apr 15;354:109107. doi: 10.1016/j.jneumeth.2021.109107. Epub 2021 Mar 3. PMID: 33675840
- Chiarelli AM, Low KA, Maclin EL, Fletcher MA, Kong TS, Zimmerman B, Tan CH, Sutton BP, Fabiani M, Gratton G. The Optical Effective Attenuation Coefficient as an Informative Measure of Brain Health in Aging. Photonics. 2019 Sep;6(3):79. doi: 10.3390/photonics6030079. Epub 2019 Jul 12. PMID: 32377515
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Duncan, C., Roxas, F., Jani, N., Maksimovic, J., Bramlet, M., Sutton, B. & Koyejo, S., Some New Tricks for Deep Glioma Segmentation. 2021, Brainlesion: Glioma, Multiple Sclerosis, Stroke and Traumatic Brain Injuries - 6th International Workshop, BrainLes 2020, Held in Conjunction with MICCAI 2020, Revised Selected Papers. Crimi, A. & Bakas, S. (eds.). Springer, p. 320-330 11 p. (Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics); vol. 12659 LNCS).
- Xing F, Jin R, Gilbert I, Liu X, El Fakhri G, Perry J, Sutton B, Woo J. Temporal Frame Alignment for Speech Atlas Construction Using High Speed Dynamic MRI. Proc Intl Soc Magn Reson Med, 2021. p. 3742
- Jin R, Liang ZP, Sutton B. Increasing three-dimensional coverage of dynamic speech magnetic resonance imaging. Proc Intl Soc Magn Reson Med, 2021. p. 4175.
- Lin S, Sutton B, Magin R, Anderson A, Klatt D. Development of in vivo human brain DTI-MRE: Optimization of experimental parameters. Proc Intl Soc Magn Reson Med, 2021. p. 3656.
- Anderson A, Muralidaran S, Cerjanic A, Sutton B, Anastasio M, Brooks F. Deep Learning Automation for Human Brain Masking of Multi-Band MR Elastography. Proc Intl Soc Magn Reson Med, 2021. p. 1024.
- Jung KJ, Sutton BP. Three-Dimensional Sodium MRI Using A Rotation of Spiral Disc (RSD) Trajectory. Proc Intl Soc Magn Reson Med, 2021. p. 1813
- Camacho P, Anderson E, Anderson A, Schwarb H, Wszalek T, Sutton B. Automating Reproducible Connectivity Processing Pipelines on High Performance Computing Machines. Proc Intl Soc Magn Reson Med, 2021. p. 3766.
- Jin R, Peng X, Sutton B. Shortening total acquisition times for high speed dynamic speech magnetic resonance imaging using temporally sparse navigation. 12th international seminar on speech production (ISSP), Yale, December 2020. https://issp2020.yale.edu/S05/riwei_05_04_025_abstract.pdf
- Sutton B, Ramsy N, Jin R, Webb A. Using dielectric bags to increase SNR in dynamic speech imaging. Proc. Intl Soc Magn Reson Med, 2020. p. 3711.
- Zhang M, Aw N, Doose M, Arnold P, Huston J, Olivero W. Sutton B. Measuring CSF shunt flow with MRI using flow enhancement of signal intensity (Shunt-FENSI). Proc. Intl Soc Magn Reson Med, 2020. p. 4699.
- Guo R, Li Y, Zhao Y, Wang T, Li Y, Sutton B. Liang ZP. High-resolution QSM for simultaneous QSM/MRSI. Proc. Intl Soc Magn Reson Med, 2020. p. 0159.
- Lin S, Sutton B, Magin R, Klatt D. Development of in vivo human brain DTI-MRE. Proc. Intl Soc. Magn Reson Med, 2020. p. 3325.
- Meng Z, Li Y, Guo R, Zhao Y, Wang T, Yu F, Sutton B, Li Y, Liang ZP. Accelerated T2 Mapping by Integrating Two-Stage Learning with Sparse Modeling. Proc. Intl Soc. Magn. Reson Med, 2020. p.889.
- Aw N, Cerjanic A, Mitchell J, Gillette M, Sutton B. Diffusion imaging of rat brain slices on a human clinical MRI scanner. Proc. Intl Soc Magn Reson Med, 2019. p. 3338.
- Peng X and Sutton B. Navigated steady-state free precession with water-excitation for real-time cardiac imaging at 3 tesla. Proc. Intl Soc Magn Reson Med, 2019, p. 2442.
- Lam F and Sutton B. Efficient Intravoxel B0 Inhomogeneity Corrected Reconstruction of Multi-Gradient-Echo Images Using A Low-Rank Encoding Operator. Proc. Intl Soc Magn Reson Med, 2019, p. 1257.
- Shake, Rattle and Jellyroll: Measuring mechanical properties of the hippocampus with magnetic resonance elastography
Service to Federal and State Government
- NIH ad hoc review panels, 2018-2021.
Recent Courses Taught
- BIOE 302 - Modeling Human Physiology
- BIOE 420 - Intro Bio Control Systems
- BIOE 497 BS (BIOE 497 BS2) - Individual Study