Grainger Endowed Director's Chair in Electric Machinery and Electromechanics
Chair: Grainger Endowed Director's Chair in Electric Machinery and Electromechanics
The Grainger Endowed Director's Chair in Electric Machinery and Electromechanics was established in 2002 by a gift from The Grainger Foundation Inc., a private foundation established by William Wallace Grainger, a 1919 Illinois graduate in electrical engineering. In 1927, the late Mr. Grainger founded W. W. Grainger, Inc., a distributor of industrial and commercial equipment and supplies. Today the Grainger Corporation is an international leader.
The new Chair supports the Director of the Grainger Center for Electric Machinery and Electromechanics. The Center is supported by a separate endowment and is dedicated to establishing the University of Illinois as a leader in the field of electric machinery and electromechanics.
The Grainger Foundation Inc. has made many notable gifts to the College of Engineering, including student fellowships and awards; funds to establish and equip laboratories in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering; funds to construct the Grainger Engineering Library Information Center and landscape the Bardeen Quadrangle; funds for the renovation of Engineering Hall; funds to establish and then endow the Grainger Center for Electric Machinery and Electromechanics; and funds for a new technology development program.
The endowment of the Director's Chair in Electric Machinery and Electromechanics comes two decades after the establishment of the Grainger Professorship in Electrical Engineering. Those who have held the original position include Mac Van Valkenburg, Petar Kokotovic, and George Gross. In 1998 the Professorship was elevated to the Grainger Chair in Electrical Engineering, and Professor Pete Sauer was invested with the position.
Faculty: Kiruba Sivasubramaniam Haran
Philip T Krein, Grainger Endowed Chair Emeritus in Electric Machinery and Electromechanics in Electrical and Computer Engineering