- Ph.D., Theoretical & Applied Mechanics, Cornell University, 2005
- M.S., Turbulence & Dynamical Systems, INLN/Universite de Nice, 2000
- M.S., Control Theory, ENSAE/Supaero, 1999
- Engineering Degree, Aerospace Engineering, ENSAE/Supaero, 1999
- Research Associate Professor, Information Trust Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 08/2012-present (0%)
- Research Associate Professor, Coordinated Science Laboratory (Decision & Control Group), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 08/2012-present (0%)
- Associate Professor, Aerospace Engineering, UIUC, 08/2012-present
- Co-director, Center for People & Infrastructures, Coordinated Science Laboratory, 2011-present
- Assistant Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering (Department Affiliate), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 01/2009-08/2012
- Research Assistant Professor, Information Trust Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 01/2007-08/2012(0%)
- Research Assistant Professor, Coordinated Science Laboratory (Decision & Control Group), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 01/2006-08/2012 (0%)
- Assistant Professor, Aerospace Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 03/2006-08/2012
- Postdoctoral Scholar, Center for the Mathematics of Information, California Institute of Technology, 09/2004-03/2006
- Algorithm fairness and transparency
- Control, optimization, and design of distributed systems
- Aerospace information technology , transportation cyber-physical systems
- Control theory, in particular optimal, robust, distributed, and secure control; convex optimization methods for control; distributed and networked systems; applications to air-traffic control, multi-agent systems, large-scale infrastructures and cyber-security.
- Decentralized and distributed control
- Dynamic games and decision theory
- Multi-agent systems and robot control
- Networked control systems
Chapters in Books
- C. Langbort, A mechanism design approach to dynamic price-based control of multi-agent systems, to appear in A. Rantzer and R. Johansson, (editors), “Decision-Making and Control”, Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences, vol. 417, pp. 113-129, Springer Verlag, 2012 (volume appeared in December 2011).
- C. Langbort, V. Gupta, and R.M. Murray, Distributed control over failing channels, in P. Tabuada and P. Antsaklis (Editors), Networked Embedded Sensing and Control, Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences series, vol. 331, Spring Verlag, 2006.
- R. D'Andrea, C. Langbort, and R.S. Chandra, A state space approach to control of interconnected systems, in J. Rosenthal and D.S. Gilliam (Editors), Mathematical Systems Theory in Biology, Communications, Computation, and Finance, IMA Volume in Mathematics and its Applications, vol. 134, Springer Verlag, 2002.
Selected Articles in Journals
- V. Srivastava, R. Carli, C. Langbort, and F. Bullo, Attention Allocation for Decision Making Queues. Automatica, vol. 50, no.2, pp. 378-388, 2014.
- F. Farokhi, C. Langbort, K.H. Johansson, Decentralized Disturbance Accommodation with Limited Plant Model Information. SIAM Journal on Control & Optimization, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 1543-1573, 2013.
- A. Ortiz and C. Langbort, Multi-UAV Velocity and Trajectory Scheduling Strategies for Target Classification by a Single Human Operator". Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems, Volume 70, Issue 1-4 , pp 255-274.
- T. Tanaka and C. Langbort, A Symmetric Formulation of the Kalman-Yakubovich-Popov Lemma and Its Exact Losslessness Condition. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Volume 58, Issue 6, pp. 1486-1496, 2013.
- A. Ortiz and C. Langbort, Scheduling Multiple UAVs for Online Target Classification by a Single Human Operator. AIAA Journal of Aerospace Computing, Information, and Communication, vol.8 no.12 (328-345), 2011.
- F. Farokhi, C. Langbort, and K. H. Johansson, Optimal Control Design with Limited Model Information. Automatica , volume 49, issue 2, pp. 326-337, February 2013.
- H. Arneson and C. Langbort, A Linear Programming Approach to Routing Control in Networks of Linear Positive Systems. Automatica, Volume 48, Issue 5, May 2012, Pages 800-807.
- V. Ugrinovskii and C. Langbort, Distributed H infinity consensus-based estimation of uncertain systems via dissipativity theory. IET Control Theory & Applications, vol. 5, issue 12, pp. 1458-1469, 2011.
- T. Tanaka and C. Langbort, The bounded real lemma for internally positive systems and H-infinity structured static state feedback. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Volume 56 (2011), Issue 9 (September), pp. 2218-2223.
- T. Tanaka and C. Langbort, On limitations in H-infinity suboptimal decentralized control derived from the generalized structured singular value. Systems & Control Letters, vol. 60, issue 5, pp. 318-324, May 2011.
- C. Langbort and V. Ugrinovskii, Diagonal stability of stochastic systems subject to nonlinear disturbances and diagonal H2 Norms. Automatica, Volume 47, issue 7, pp. 1427-1434, July 2011.
- C. Langbort and J.C. Delvenne, Distributed Design Methods for Linear Quadratic Control and Their Limitations. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control,vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 2085-2093, September 2010.
- C. Langbort, and V. Gupta, Minimal Topology in Distributed Control Design. SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, Volume 48, Issue 1, pp. 397-413, 2009.
- R.S. Chandra, C. Langbort and R. D'Andrea, Distributed Conrol Design for Spatially Interconnected Systems with Robustness to Small Communication Delays. Systems & Control Letters, vol. 58, issue 4, pp. 296-303, 2009.
- C. Langbort and R. D'Andrea, Distributed Control of Spatially Reversible Interconnected Systems with Boundary Conditions. SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, vol. 44, no 1, pp. 1-28, June 2005.
- C. Langbort, R.S. Chandra and R. D'Andrea, Distributed Control Design for Systems Interconnected over an Arbitrary Graph. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 1502-1519, Sept. 2004.
- C. Langbort, Bifurcation of Relative Equilibria in the Main Problem of Artificial Satellite Theory for a Prolate Body. Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy, no. 84-vol., pp. 369-385, 2002.
- Subject Editor "Theory and Applications of Distributed Systems" for Optimal Control Applications and Methods (OCAM-Wiley), 2011-2013
- Guest Associate Editor for the Special Issue on "Information Processing and Decision Making in Distributed Control Systems", International Journal of Systems, Control and Communications, vol. 2, nos. 1/2/3/ 2010.
- CAREER Award (02/2012)
- Best student paper award winner (as adviser, student: T. Tanaka) (12/2011)
- Best student paper award finalist (as adviser, student: T. Tanaka) (09/2010)
- Visiting Fellow (05-06/2011)
- Invited Visiting Professor (06/2010)
- Invited Visiting Professor (11-12/2009)
- Invited main speaker, "Distributed Optimization in Control and Estimation" (July 2009)
- Summer Faculty Research Fellowship, (Air Vehicle Directorate, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base) (2008)
- Best Paper in Session (2008)
- Best Presentation in Session (2006)
- Best Presentation in Session (2006)
- Best Student Paper Award Finalist (as student) (2003)
Public Service Honors
- Special Service Citation “for the organization of the Region III student research conference”, AIAA (2009)
- Outstanding Reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control (2006)
- AE 100 - Intro to Aerospace Engineering
- AE 202 - Aerospace Flight Mechanics
- AE 352 - Aerospace Dynamical Systems
- AE 454 - Systems Dynamics & Control
- AE 498 - Distributed System Control
- AE 502 - Advanced Orbital Mechanics
- AE 504 - Optimal Aerospace Systems
- AE 554 - Dynamical Systems Theory