Varun Badrinath Krishna
Primary Research Area
- Power and Energy Systems - Interactions between computer networks and power networks, including cyber security, analysis, and design
- William H. Sanders (MS)
- William H. Sanders (PHD)
- National University of Singapore, B.Eng (Computer Engineering)
- Stanford University and National University of Singapore (Minor in Technology Entrepreneurship)
Varun Badrinath Krishna is a Ph.D. student in the Electrical and Computer Engineering department and a research assistant in the Information Trust Institute at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). He is advised by Prof. William H. Sanders, and is researching data-driven methods to improve resilience, trust, and efficiency in power grids. His work has won best paper awards at QEST 2015 and CRITIS 2015, the Rambus Computer Engineering Fellowship in 2017, and with IBM Research he has filed two U.S. patents as the primary inventor. His work has been supported by the Siebel Energy Institute, the U.S. Department of Energy, and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Varun was inducted into the Siebel Scholar Class of 2018 for academic, research and leadership excellence in energy sciences. He received a B.Eng. from the National University of Singapore in 2010 and a M.S. from UIUC in 2016. Between those degrees, he had worked as a research engineer for three years at the Advanced Digital Sciences Center and the Experimental Power Grid Centre in Singapore.
- Research Assistant, Information Trust Institute (August 2014-)
- Research Affiliate, Advanced Digital Sciences Center, Singapore (April 2012-)
- Masters Thesis (ECE Illinois): An Energy-Efficient P2P Protocol for Validating Measurements in Wireless Sensor Networks
Other Professional Employment
- PhD Summer Intern, Cisco Systems Inc. (IoT Group), San Jose CA (May 2017-August 2017)
- Research Intern, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights NY (May 2016-December 2016)
- Sensor Data Analytics Intern, ABB US Corporate Research Center, Raleigh NC (May 2015-August 2015)
- Software Engineer, Advanced Digital Sciences Center, Singapore (April 2012-June 2014)
- Research Engineer, Experimental Power Grid Centre, Singapore (March 2011-March 2012)
- Computer security, privacy, and information trust
- Decentralized and distributed control
- Dynamic reconfiguration of systems for fault tolerance and mitigation
- Fault tolerance and reliability
- Intelligent devices and controls for electricity grids
- Interactions between computer networks and power networks, including cyber security, analysis, and design
- Machine learning
- Machine learning and pattern recognition
- Networked control systems
- Scenarios for energy systems up to one hundred years into the future
- System design for reliability
Selected Articles in Journals
- Varun Badrinath Krishna, Carl A. Gunter, and William H. Sanders. Evaluating Detectors on Optimal Attack Vectors that enable Electricity Theft and DER Fraud. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing. 2018.
- Rui Tan, Varun Badrinath Krishna, David K. Y. Yau, Zbigniew Kalbarczyk. Integrity Attacks on Real-Time Pricing in Electric Power Grids. ACM Transactions on Information and System Security (TISSEC) Volume 18 Issue 2, July 2015.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Varun Badrinath Krishna, Wander S. Wadman, Younghun Kim. NowCasting: Accurate and Precise Short-Term Wind Power Prediction using Hyperlocal Wind Forecasts. ACM Conference on Future Energy Systems 2018 (ACM E-Energy)
- Varun Badrinath Krishna, Michael J. Rausch, Benjamin E. Ujcich, Indranil Gupta and William H. Sanders. REMAX: Reachability-Maximizing P2P Detection of Erroneous Readings in Wireless Sensor Networks. In Proceedings of IEEE/IFIP DSN 2017 (IEEE/IFIP conference on Dependable Systems and Networks).
- Varun Badrinath Krishna, Kiryung Lee, Gabriel A. Weaver, Ravishankar K. Iyer and William H. Sanders. FDETA- A Framework for Detecting Electricity Theft Attacks in Smart Grids. In Proceedings of IEEE/IFIP DSN 2016 (IEEE/IFIP conference on Dependable Systems and Networks).
- Varun Badrinath Krishna, Ravishankar K. Iyer and William H. Sanders. ARIMA-Based Modeling and Validation of Consumption Readings in Power Grids. In Proceedings of CRITIS 2015 (International conference on Critical Information Infrastructure Security). Winner, CIPRNet Young CRITIS Award
- Varun Badrinath Krishna, Gabriel A. Weaver and William H. Sanders. PCA-Based Method for Detecting Integrity Attacks on Advanced Metering Infrastructure. In Proceedings of QEST 2015 (International conference on Quantitative Evaluation of SysTems). Winner, Best Paper Award
- Deokwoo Jung, Varun Badrinath Krishna, William Temple, David K. Y. Yau. Data-Driven Evaluation of Building Demand Response Capacity. In Proceedings of IEEE SmartGridComm 2014 (IEEE conference on Smart Grid Communications).
- Deokwoo Jung, Varun Badrinath Krishna, Ngo Quang Minh Khiem, Hoang Hai Nguyen, David K. Y. Yau. EnergyTrack : Sensor-Driven Energy Use Analysis System. In Proceedings of ACM BuildSys 2013 (ACM workshop/conference on Embedded Systems for Energy-Efficient Buildings).
- Rui Tan, Varun Badrinath Krishna, David K. Y. Yau, Zbigniew Kalbarczyk. Impact of integrity attacks on real-time pricing in smart grids. In Proceedings of ACM CCS 2013 (ACM conference on Computer and Communication Security).
- Varun Badrinath Krishna, Deokwoo Jung, Ngo Quang Minh Khiem, Hoang Hai Nguyen, and David K. Y. Yau. DEMO Abstract- EnergyTrack: Sensor-Driven Energy Use Analysis System. In Proceedings of ACM BuildSys 2013.
- Varun Badrinath Krishna. ARIMA-Based Modeling and Validation of Consumption Readings in Power Grids. European Critical Information Infrastructure Protection Newsletter Vol 10. No 1.
- Member, Tau Beta Pi
- Member, IEEE
Service on University Committees
- Team Captain, Illini Dancesport (Fall 2015 - Spring 2016)
- Assistant Coach, Illini Dancesport (Fall 2016 - Spring 2017)
- Member, ECE Student Advancement Committee (Fall 2017 - Spring 2018)
- Member, Engineering Graduate Student Advisory Committee (Fall 2017 -)
- ECE Alumni Endowment Research Award: For excellence in graduate research in Computer Engineering.
- Siebel Scholar, Class of 2018: For academic, research and leadership excellence in Energy Sciences.
- ECE Rambus Computer Engineering Fellowship (2016-2017): For excellence in graduate research in Computer Engineering.
- Blue Waters Exploratory Allocation (Sept 2015): Co-PI on proposal that was granted access to the supercomputer at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications
- Best Paper by Young Researcher (CYCA Award), CRITIS 2015: ARIMA-Based Modeling and Validation of Consumption Readings in Power Grids
- Best Paper Award Winner, QEST 2015: PCA-Based Method for Detecting Integrity Attacks on Advanced Metering Infrastructure
- Siebel Energy Institute 2015 Grant Winner: Design and Evaluation of Methods to Detect Electricity Theft in Advanced Metering Infrastructure (2015)