David M. Nicol
- Ph.D., Computer Science,University of Virginia, 1985
I aim to convey difficult material clearly, and challenge students to integrate concepts to solve new types of problems that follow immediately from the material covered.
The study of large-scale systems encounters problems in representation,
scalability, and behavior. Project MOSES investigates such issues, particularly in the context of networking security.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
I have almost always had undergraduates working on my research team. I support undergraduate summer interns.
- security policy and its analysis
- parallel discrete-event simulation
- fluid based modeling
- mathematical modeling and analysis
- public-key infrastructure
- Computer networking
- Computer security, privacy, and information trust
- Embedded, real-time, and hybrid systems
- Parallel processing
- Reliable and secure systems
- System modeling and measurement
- Alumni Fellowship Award, given by the William and Mary Society of the Alumni for excellence in teaching, 1992.
- ACM SIGSIM Distinguished Contributions Award, 2007
- ACM Distinguished Lecturer, 2008
- ACM Distinguished Lecturer, 2007
- Fellow of the ACM, for contributions to discrete event simulation
- Best Paper Award, Conference on Principles of Advanced and Distributed Simulation, June 2005.
- Best Paper Award, IPSI 2004-Studenica Conference on Internet Technologies
- IEEE Fellow, 2003.
- Marion and Jason Whiting Fellowship for study at Oxford University, 2000.
- Best Paper Award, 9th Annual Conference on Parallel and Distributed Simulation, 1995.
- Employee Excellence Award, Control Data Corporation, 1982.
- Great Performer's Award, Control Data Corporation, 1980.
- CS 397 - Individual Study
- CS 499 - Senior Thesis
- CS 541 - Computer Systems Analysis
- CS 597 - Individual Study
- CS 599 - Thesis Research
- ECE 220 - Computer Systems & Programming
- ECE 297 - Individual Study
- ECE 396 - Honors Project
- ECE 397 - Individual Study in ECE
- ECE 496 - Senior Research Project
- ECE 498 - Special Topics in ECE
- ECE 499 - Senior Thesis
- ECE 541 - Computer Systems Analysis
- ECE 596 - Master's Project
- ECE 597 - Individual Study in ECE
- ECE 598 - Special Topics in ECE
- ECE 599 - Thesis Research