Timothy C O'Connell
- Ph.D. Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2008
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2005
- B.A. Physics, Summa Cum Laude, Carleton College, 2003
Tim O’Connell received a BA, summa cum laude, in Physics from Carleton College in Northfield, MN in 2003 and MS and PhD degrees in Electrical Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, in 2005 and 2008, respectively. He is currently a Senior Lead Engineer with PC Krause & Associates (PCKA), West Lafayette, IN, where he has served as the lead engineer in charge of adaptive power and thermal management system (APTMS) model integration for the Air Force Integrated Vehicle Energy Technology (INVENT) Spiral 1 next generation fighter aircraft program, and he is currently the modeling and simulation team lead for the INVENT Spiral 2 effort. Additionally at PCKA, Tim has created a high-fidelity transient model capable of predicting the off-axis dynamics of a cantilevered switched-reluctance generator, modeled and simulated bidirectional power converter architectures for use in aircraft electrical accumulator units (EAUs), has lead an effort to design a modular power system architecture for unmanned underwater vehicles (UUVs), has investigated the electromechanics of an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) electric generator, and has designed a detailed automated finite-element analysis code for analyzing aircraft generators. He has over a decade of experience using Matlab/Simulink and is a veteran user of Comsol Multiphysics finite element software.
At PCKA, Tim won the 2010 SAE Charles M. Manly Memorial Medal for the “best paper relating to the theory or practice in the design or construction of, or research on, aerospace engines, their parts, components, or accessories and which has been presented at an SAE meeting” for his paper, “A Hybrid Economy Bleed, Electric Drive Adaptive Power and Thermal Management System for More Electric Aircraft.” While at the University of Illinois, Tim won the Grainger Outstanding Power Student Award in 2005, held the Sargent and Lundy Distinguished Power Student Fellowship in 2005-06, and was named on the List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent in 2007 for his teaching assistant duties for the electrical machinery course. Tim is currently an Adjunct Research Assistant Professor in the Illinois Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, teaching a course on green electric energy.
- Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, August 2017-August 2018
- Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, August 2016-August 2017
- Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, August 2015-August 2016
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Electrical and Computer Engineering, January-June 2014
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Electrical and Computer Engineering, January-June 2013
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Electrical and Computer Engineering, March-June 2012
Major Consulting Activities
- Integris Consulting, East Peoria, IL, 2015
Other Professional Activities
- IEEE Central Illinois Section Young Professionals Affinity Group Chair, 2017-Present
- IEEE Central Illinois Section Chair, 2015-Present
- IEEE Transportation Electrification Committee (TEC), Industry Relations Committee Aerospace and Defense Liaison, 2015-Present
- Senior Member, IEEE, 2014-Present
- Member, SAE, 2010-Present
- Member, IEEE, 2003-2014
- ECE 333: Green Electric Energy, Spring 2016
- ECE 333: Green Electric Energy, Spring 2014
- ECE 333: Green Electric Energy, Spring 2013
- ECE 333: Green Electric Energy, Spring 2012
- Short Course on Electromechanical System Design, Zodiac Aerospace, 15 June 2016
- More Electric Aircraft (MEA) Design
- Model Verification and Validation
- Power Electronics
- Modeling and Simulation of Power Systems
- Electric Machines
- Computational electromagnetics
- Efficient energy management and conversion for lighting, communications, information technology, transportation, and appliances
- Electric transportation
- Electrical machines and drive systems
- Energy storage conversion, management, and control
- Power and Energy Systems
- Power electronics
Books Authored or Co-Authored (Original Editions)
- P. C. Krause, O. Wasynczuk, T. O'Connell, and M. Hasan, "Introduction to Electric Power and Drive Systems," Wiley-IEEE Press, New Jersey, 2017.
Selected Articles in Journals
- T. C. O’Connell and P. T. Krein, “A Schwarz-Christoffel-Based Analytical Method for Electric Machine Field Analysis,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 565-577, Sept. 2009.
- T. C. O’Connell and P. T. Krein, “A Time-Harmonic Three-Dimensional Vector Boundary Element Model for Electromechanical Devices,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 606-618, Sept. 2010.
- T. C. O’Connell, C. Lui, P. Walia, and J. Tschantz, “A Hybrid Economy Bleed, Electric Drive Adaptive Power and Thermal Management System for More Electric Aircraft,” SAE Int. J. Aerosp., vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 168-172, Dec. 2010.
- T. C. O’Connell, J. R. Wells, P. T. Lamm, and L. B. DeWitt, “A Direct Torque-Controlled Induction Machine Bidirectional Power Architecture for More Electric Aircraft,” SAE Int. J. Aerosp., vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 65-73, Dec. 2010.
- T. C. O’Connell, K. McCarthy, R. Yeu, P. Pigg, T. Bowman, and P. Lamm, “Software Tools for Efficient Model-Based Design of Energy Optimized Aircraft,” SAE Int. J. Aerosp. vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 386-397, Dec. 2012.
- T. C. O’Connell, J. R. Wells, and O. A. Watts, “A lumped-parameter off-axis-capable dynamic switched reluctance machine model including unbalanced radial forces,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 30, no 1, pp. 161-174, March 2015.
- P. C. Krause, O. Wasynczuk, T. C. O'Connell, and M. Hasan, "Tesla's contribution to electric machine analysis," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 591-598, Jun. 2017.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- T. C. O’Connell, P. T. Krein, and J. T. Mossoba, “Symbolic Analysis with Mathematica in Power Electronics and Electromechanical Systems, 9th IEEE Workshop on Computers in Power Electronics (COMPEL ’04), August 2004, pp. 133-139.
- T. C. O’Connell and P. T. Krein, “Development of a First-Principles Design Method for Electromechanical Systems and a Linear Induction Machine,” Proceedings IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference (IEMDC ’05), May 2005, pp. 474-480.
- T. C. O’Connell and P. T. Krein, “A Preliminary Investigation of Computer-Aided Schwarz-Christoffel Transformation for Electric Machine Design and Analysis, 10th IEEE Workshop on Computers in Power Electronics (COMPEL ’06), July 2006, pp. 166-172.
- T. C. O’Connell and P. T. Krein, “The Schwarz-Christoffel Analytical Method Applied to Electric Machine Slot Shape Optimization,” Proceedings IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference (IEMDC ’07), May 2007, pp. 341-346.
- T. C. O’Connell and P. T. Krein, “Calculating the Induced Currents in Induction Machines Using Schwarz-Christoffel Mapping,” Electrical Insulation Conference, October 2007, Nashville, TN.
- T. C. O’Connell, P. T. Krein, M. Yilmaz, A. Friedl, “On the Feasibility of Using Large-Scale Numerical Electric Machine Field Analysis Software in Complex Electric Drive System Design Tools,” 11th IEEE Workshop on Control and Modeling for Power Electronics (COMPEL ’08), Zurich, Switzerland, August 18-20, 2008.
- A. J. Adzima, P. T. Krein, and T. C. O’Connell, “Investigation of Accelerating Numerical-Field Analysis Methods for Electric Machines with the Incorporation of Graphic-Processor Based Parallel Processing Techniques,” in Proc. IEEE Electric Ship Technologies Symposium (ESTS ‘09), April 2009, pp. 59-64.
- T. C. O’Connell, B. C. Raczkowski, M. Amrhein, J. R. Wells, M. J. Tavernini, P. T. Krein, and J. Banner, “A Modular Power System Architecture for Military and Commercial Electric Vehicles,” in Proc. SAE Power Systems Conf., SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1756, 2010.
- E. Walters, S. Iden, K. McCarthy, M. Amrhein, T. C. O'Connell, et al, "INVENT modeling, simulation, analysis, and optimization," in Proc. AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Orlando, USA, Jan. 2010, AIAA Technical Paper 2010-287.
- J. Zumberge, M. Wolff, T. C. O’Connell, G. Russell, K. McCarthy, and E. Lucas, “Energy management of an aircraft electrical system,” in Proc. AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conf., Nashville, USA, July 2010, AIAA Technical Paper 2010-7092.
- J. Zumberge, J. Wolff, K. McCarthy, T. C. O'Connell, et al, "Integrated aircraft electrical power system modeling and simulation analysis," in Proc. SAE Power Systems Conf., Fort Worth, USA, Nov. 2010, SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1804.
- M. Amrhein, T. C. O’Connell, and J. R. Wells, “An integrated design process for optimized high-performance electrical machines,” in Proc. IEEE Int’l Electric Machines and Drives Conf. (IEMDC ’13), Chicago, USA, May 2013, pp. 913-920.
- T. C. O’Connell, K. McCarthy, A. Paquette, D. McCormick, P. Pigg, and P. T. Lamm, “Model validation planning and process on the INVENT program,” in Proc. SAE Aerospace Sys. Tech. Conf. (ASTC ’14), Cincinnati, USA, Oct. 2014, SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2116.
- T. C. O’Connell, K. McCarthy, A. Paquette, D. McCormick, P. Pigg, and P. T. Lamm, “Enhancements to software tools and progress in model-based design of EOA on the INVENT program,” in Proc. SAE Aerospace Sys. Tech. Conf. (ASTC ’14), Cincinnati, USA, Oct. 2014, SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2118.
Other Scholarly Activities
- Organizer and Moderator of "More Electric Aircraft Technologies" panel session at IEEE International Transportation Electrification Conference (ITEC) 2017.
- Session Chair, Power Electronics Conference at Illinois (PECI), 2013
- Session Chair, Power Electronics Conference at Illinois (PECI), 2014
- SAE, member, 2010-present
- IEEE, member, 2003-2014
- IEEE Senior Member, 2014-Present
- Chair, IEEE Central Illinois Section, 2015-Present
- IEEE Transportation Electrification Community (TEC) Industry Relations Committee, Aerospace and Defense Liaison, 2015-Present
- SAE Excellence in Oral Presentation Award given for two papers presented at the 2014 SAE Aerospace Systems Technology Conference (ASTC): "Enhancements to Software Tools and Progress in Model-Based Design of EOA on the INVENT Program" and "Model Validation Planning and Process on the INVENT Program" (October 2014)
- SAE Charles M. Manly Memorial Medal (November 2010)
- "Heterogeneous Parallel Programming," Illinois Coursera (Online MOOC) Course, January-March, 2014
- SAE "Design of Experiments (DOE) for Engineers" short course, October 2014
Recent Courses Taught
- ECE 333 - Green Electric Energy