For more information
- Ph.D. Physics, University of Tennessee, Knoxville (2011)
- B.Sc. Physics and Mathematics, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel (2004)
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Bioengineering, 2015-Present
- Affiliate Faculty, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2018-Present
- Affiliate Faculty, Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology, 2015-Present
- Affiliate Faculty, Cancer Center at Illinois, 2017-Present
- Affiliate Faculty, Center for Biophysics and Quantitative Biology, 2015-Present
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Gladstone Institutes, University of California, San Francisco, 2011-2015
- Drug Screening
- Cellular Fate-Determination and State Transitions
- Viral and Genetic Circuitry
- Stochastic Gene Expression
- Single-Cell Biophysics
- Systems Biology
Chapters in Books
- ML Simpson, CD Cox, MS Allen, JM McCollum, RD Dar, DK Karig, and JF Cooke (2009) Noise in Biological Circuits. In WIREs Nanomed Nanobiotechnol 1: 214–225
Selected Articles in Journals
- CD Cox, JM McCollum, DW Austin, MS Allen, RD Dar, and ML Simpson (2006) Frequency domain analysis of noise in simple gene circuits. Chaos 16:026102.
- DW Austin, MS Allen, JM McCollum, RD Dar, JR Wilgus, GS Sayler, NF Samatova, CD Cox, and ML Simpson (2006) Gene network shaping of inherent noise spectra. Nature 439:608–11.
- CD Cox, JM McCollum, MS Allen, RD Dar, and ML Simpson (2008) Using noise to probe and characterize gene circuits. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA 105:10809–10814.
- LS Weinberger*, RD Dar*, and ML Simpson (2008) Transient mediated fate-determination in a transcriptional circuit of HIV. Nature Genetics 40:466–470. (* - equal contribution)
- RD Dar, DK Karig, JF Cooke, CD Cox, and ML Simpson (2010) Distribution and regulation of stochasticity and plasticity in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Chaos 20:037106.
- DK Karig, P Siuti, RD Dar, ST Retterer, MJ Doktycz, and ML Simpson (2011) Model for biological communication in a nanofabricated cell-mimic driven by stochastic resonance. Nano Comm Net 2:39–49.
- A Singh, BS Razooky, RD Dar, and LS Weinberger (2012) Dynamics of protein noise can distinguish between alternative sources of gene-expression variability. Mol Syst Biol 8:607.
- RD Dar*, BS Razooky*, A Singh, TV Trimeloni, JM McCollum, CD Cox, ML Simpson, and LS Weinberger (2012) Transcriptional burst frequency and burst size are equally modulated across the human genome. Proc Na. Acad Sc. USA 109:17454–17459. (* - equal contribution)
- MW Teng*, C Bolovan-Fritts*, RD Dar, A Womack, T Shenk, ML Simpson, and LS Weinberger (2012) An endogenous accelerator for viral gene expression provides a fitness advantage. Cell 151:1569–1580. (* - equal contribution)
- D Boehm, V Calvanese, RD Dar, S Xing, S Schroeder, L Martins, K Aull, P Li, V Planelles, JE Bradner, M Zhou, RF Siliciano, LS Weinberger, E Verdin, and M Ott (2012) BET bromodomain-targeting compounds reactivate HIV from latency via a Tat-independent mechanism. Cell Cycle 2:452–462.
- RD Dar, NN Hosmane, MR Arkin, RF Siliciano, and LS Weinberger (2014) Screening for noise in gene expression identifies drug synergies. Science 44:1392–1396.
- RD Dar, BS Razooky, LS Weinberger, CD Cox, and ML Simpson (2015) The Low Noise Limit in Gene Expression. PLoS ONE 10(10): e0140969
- RD Dar**, SM Shaffer, A Singh, BS Razooky, ML Simpson, A Raj, and LS Weinberger (2016) Transcriptional Bursting Explains the Noise-Versus-Mean Relationship in mRNA and Protein Levels. PLoS ONE 11(7): e0158298. (**Corr. Author)
- K Bohn-Wippert, EN Tevonian, MR Megaridis, and RD Dar (2017) Similarity in viral and host promoters couples viral reactivation with host cell migration. Nature Communications 8:15006. doi:10.1038/ncomms15006
- MR Megaridis*, Y Lu*, EN Tevonian, KM Junger, JM Moy, K Bohn-Wippert, and RD Dar (2018) Fine-Tuning of Noise in Gene Expression with Nucleosome Remodeling. APL Bioengineering. 2:026106. doi:10.1063/1.5021183 . (* - equal contribution)
- RD Dar and R Weiss (2018) Engineering noise in biological systems towards predictive stochastic design. APL Bioengineering. 2:020901. doi:10.1063/1.5025033.
- MMK Hansen*, WY Wen*, E Ingerman*, BS Razooky, CE Thompson, RD Dar, CW Chin, ML Simpson, and LS Weinberger (2018) A Post-Transcriptional Feedback Mechanism for Noise Suppression and Fate Stabilization. Cell 173:1-13 (* - equal contribution)
- RD Kamm, R Bashir, N Arora, RD Dar, LG Griffith, ML Kemp, K Kinlaw, M Levin, AC Martin, TC McDevitt, RM Nerem, M Powers, TA. Saif, J Sharpe, S Takayama, S Takeuchi, R Weiss, K Ye, HG Yevick, and M Zaman (2018) The promise of multi-cellular engineered living systems. APL Bioengineering 2:040901. doi.org/10.1063/1.5038337
- K Bohn-Wippert*, EN Tevonian*, Y Lu, M-Y Huang, MR Megaridis, and RD Dar (2018) Cell size-based decision-making of a viral gene circuit. Cell Reports 25:3844-3857. doi.org/10.1016/j.celrep.2018.12.009 (* - equal contribution)
- K Bohn-Wippert and RD Dar (2020) Cell size dependent migration of T-cells latently infected with HIV. Journal of Life Sciences 2:1
- T Mahajan and RD Dar (2021) Internetwork connectivity of molecular networks across species of life. Scientific Reports 11:1168
- Y Lu, A Singh, and RD Dar (2021) A transient heritable memory regulates HIV reactivation from latency. iScience https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isci.2021.102291
- Y Lu, K Bohn-Wippert, PJ Pazerunas, JM Moy, H Singh, and RD Dar (2021) Screening for gene expression fluctuations reveals latency promoting agents of HIV. Proc Na. Acad Sc. USA 118 (11) e2012191118
- N Goswami, Y Lu, ME Kandel, MJ Fanous, K Bohn-Wippert, EN Tevonian, RD Dar, and G Popescu (2020) Monitoring Reactivation of Latent HIV by Label-Free Gradient Light Interference Microscopy. bioRxiv
- NSF CAREER Award (2020)
- NIBIB Trailblazer Award for New and Early Stage Investigators, NIH (2018)
- Innovation Lab Award, The Jayne Koskinas Ted Giovanis Foundation (2018)
- Scialog Fellow, Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation with Rescorp (2017)
- NIH Career Transition Award (K22), NIAID, NIH (2015)
- Gordon Research Conference Best Poster Award, Ventura, CA (2015)
- Postdoctoral Award for Exemplary Leadership, Gladstone Institutes, UCSF (2015)
- Postdoctoral Award for Scientific Excellence, Gladstone Institutes, UCSF (2014)
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA, F32), NIAID, NIH (2012)
- Paul H. Stelson Fellowship for Professional Promise, University of Tennessee (2011)
- Sigma Pi Sigma, National Physics Honors Society, University of Tennessee Chapter (2008-2011)
- Teaching Excellence Award, Illinois Student Government, UIUC (4/22/2018)
- The Jayne Koskinas Ted Giovanis Foundation "Innovation Lab Award" (7/24/2018)
- Rescorp and Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation "Scialog Collaborative Innovation Award" (7/26/2017)
- BIOE 206 - Cellular Bioengineering
- BIOE 310 - Comp Tools Bio Data
- BIOE 487 - Stem Cell Bioengineering
- BIOE 497 - Individual Study
- BIOE 598 - Single-Cell Decision-Making
- BIOE 598 - Stem Cell Bioengineering