Arend van der Zande
214 Materials Research Lab
For more information
- Ph.D. Physics, Cornell University, 2011
- Master of Science, Physics, Cornell University, 2008
- Bachelor of Science, Physics and Mathematics, University of California Santa Cruz, 2003
- Affiliate, Materials Research Lab, September 1, 2017 - Present
- Affiliate, Electrical and Computer Engineering, March 18, 2017 - present
- Affiliate, Beckman Institute, November 1, 2015 - Present
- Affiliate, Micro and Nanotechnology Center, UIUC August 15, 2015 - Present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, August 16, 2015 - Present
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Energy Frontier Research Center, Columbia University, 2012-2015
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Columbia University, 2011-2015
- Graduate Student Researcher, Laboratory of Atomic and Solid State Physics, Cornell University, 2004-2010
- Professor van der Zande's research re-engineers classic 3D systems at atomic length scale like mechanical structures such as atomically-thin membranes or flexible films and electronic structures such as transistors or photodiodes. We utilize molecular scale building blocks made from new 2D materials like graphene and molybdenum disulfide. The materials are naturally stable at only one to a few atoms thick and can be grown or manually manipulated to build heterostructures with tailored properties by stacking 2D materials layer-by-layer, like lego building blocks. These new structures are then used in applications that lie at the forefront of nanotechnology such as highly-tunable nano-electro-mechanical systems, flexible electronics, pushing Moore's Law, sensors, biological interfaces and new energy systems.
- Nano-electro mechanical systems (NEMS)
Selected Articles in Journals
- van der Zande, A. M., J. Kuntsmann, A. Chernikov, D. Chenet, Y. You, X. Zhang, T. C. Berkelbach, P. Huang, M. Hybertsen, D. A. Muller, D. R. Reichman, T. F. Heinz, and J. C. Hone, “Tailoring the bandstructure in bilayer molybdenum disulfide via interlayer twist,” Nano Letters 14 (7), 3869-3875 (2014).
- Lee, C-H., G-H. Lee, A. M. van der Zande, W. Chen, Y. Li, M. Han, X. Cui, G. Arefe, C. Nuckolls, T. F. Heinz, J. Hone, and P. Kim, “Atomically-thin p-n junctions with van der Waals heterointerfaces,” Nature Nano 9 676-681 (2014).
- Lu, C., D. Zhang, A. M. van der Zande, P. Kim, and I. P. Herman, “Nanoparticle Monolayers Sandwiched between graphene electrodes,” Nanoscale 6 (23), 14158-14162 (2014).
- Yeh, P.C., W. Jin, N. Zaki, D. Zhang, J. T. Sadowski, A. Al-Mahboob, A. M. van der Zande, D. A. Chenet, J. I. Dadap, I. P. Herman, P. Sutter, J. C. Hone, and R. M. Osgood, Jr., “Probing substrate-dependent long-range surface structure of single-layer and multilayer MoS2 by low-energy electron micrscopy and microprobe diffraction,” Phyical Review Letters B, 89 15, 155408 (2014).
- Gu, T., J. F. McMillan, N. W. Petrone, A. M. van der Zande, J. C. Hone, M. Yu, G.-Q. Lo, D.-L. Kwong, and C. W. Wong, “Optical bistability and free carrier dynamics in graphene-silicon photonic crystal cavities,” Optics Communications 314, 23-27 (2014).
- Gan, X., T. Shui, Y. Gao, K. F. Mak, A. M. van der Zande, J. C. Hone, T. F. Heinz, and D. Englund, “Controlling the Spontaneous Emission Rate of Monolayer MoS2 in a Photonic Crystal Nanocavity,” Applied Physics Letters 103 181119 (2013).
- Jin, W., P.-C. Yeh, N. Zaki, D. Zhang, J. Sadowski, A. Al-Mahboob, A. M. van der Zande, D. A. Chenet, J. I. Dadap, I. P. Herman, P. Sutter, J. Hone, and R. M. Osgood, Jr., “Direct Measurement of the Thickness-Dependent Electronic Band Structure of MoS2 Using Angle-Resolved Photoemission Spectroscopy,” Physical Review Letters 111, 106801 (2013).
- Lee, S., V. P. Adiga, R. A. Barton, A. M. van der Zande, G.-H. Lee, B. R. Ilic, A. Gondarenko, J. M. Parpia, H. G. Craighead, and J. Hone, “Graphene Metallization of High-Stress Silicon Nitride Resonators for Electrical Integration,” Nano Letters, 13(9), 4275-4279 (2013).
- van der Zande, A.M.*, P.Y. Huang*, D.A. Chenet*, T.C. Berkelbach, Y. You, G.-H. Lee, T.F. Heinz, D.R. Reichman, D.A. Muller, and J.C. Hone, “Grains and grain boundaries in highly-crystalline monolayer molybdenum disulfide,” Nature Materials 12, 554-561 (2013). * Equal Contribution
- Lee, G.-H., R. C. Cooper, S. J. An, S. Lee, A.M. van der Zande, N. Petrone, A.G. Hammerberg, C. Lee, B. Crawford, W. Oliver, J. W. Kysar, and J. Hone, “High-strength chemical-vapor-deposited graphene and grain boundaries,” Science, 340 6136 1073-1076, (2013).
- van der Zande, A.M. and J. Hone, “Optical materials: Inspired by strain,” Nature Photonics, 6 (12), 804-806 (2013).
- Barnard, A.W., V. Sazonova, A.M. van der Zande, and P.L. McEuen, “Fluctuation broadening in carbon nanotube resonators,” PNAS 109 (47), 19093-19096 (2012).
- Gu, T., N. Petrone, J.F. McMillan, A.M. van der Zande, M. Yu, G.-Q. Lo, K.-L. Kwong, J. Hone, and C.W. Wong, “Regenerative oscillations and four-wave mixing in graphene optoelectronics,” Nature Photonics 6, 554-559 (2012).
- Petrone, N., C.R. Dean, I. Meric, A.M. van der Zande, P.Y. Huang, L. Wang, D. Muller, K. L. Shepard, and J. Hone, “Chemical vapor deposition-derived graphene with electrical performance of exfoliated graphene,” Nano Letters, 12 (6) 2751-2756 (2012).
- Garcia, J.M., U. Wurstbauer, A. Levy, L.N. Pfeiffer, A. Pinczuk, A.S. Plaut, L. Wang, C.R. Dean, R. Buizza, A.M. van der Zande, J. Hone, K Watanabe, and T. Taniguchi, “Graphene growth on h-BN by Molecular Beam Epitaxy,” Solid State Communications 152 (12) 975-978 (2012).
- Tomaino, J. L., A. D. Jameson, J. W. Kevek, M. J. Paul, A. M. van der Zande, R. A. Barton, P. L. McEuen, E. D. Minot, and Yun-Shik Lee, "Terahertz imaging and spectroscopy of large-area single-layer graphene," Optics Express 19, 141-146 (2011).
- Ruiz-Vargas, C.S., H.L. Zhuang, P.Y. Huang, A.M. van der Zande, S. Garg, P.L. McEuen, D.A. Muller, R.G. Hennig, and J. Park, “Softened elastic response and unzipping in chemical vapor deposition graphene membranes,” Nano Letters, 11 (6) 2259-2263 (2011).
- Barton, R.A., B. Ilic, A.M. van der Zande, W.S. Whitney, P.L. McEuen, J.M. Parpia, and H.G. Craighead, “High, size-dependent quality factor in an array of graphene mechanical resonators,” Nano Letters 11 (3), 1232-1236 (2011).
- Huang, P. Y.*, C. S. Ruiz-Vargas*, A. M. van der Zande*, W. S. Whitney, M. P. Levendorf, J. W. Kevek, S. Garg, J. S. Alden, C. J. Hustedt, Y. Zhu, J. Park, P. L. McEuen, and D. M. Muller, "Grains and grain boundaries in single-layer graphene patchwork quilts," Nature 469, 389-392 (2011). [* Equal Contribution]
- van der Zande, A.M., R.A. Barton, J.S. Alden, C.S. Ruiz-Vargas, W.S. Whitney, P.H.Q. Pham, J. Park, J.M. Parpia, H.G. Craighead, and P.L. McEuen, “Large-scale arrays of single-layer graphene resonators,” Nano Letters, 10(12), 4869-4873 (2010).
- Xu, X., N. M. Gabor, J. S. Alden, A. M. van der Zande, and P L. McEuen, "Photo-Thermoelectric Effect at a Graphene Interface Junction," Nano Letters 10 (2), 562–56 (2010).
- Bunch, J. S., S. S. Verbridge, J. S. Alden, A. M. van der Zande, J. M. Parpia, H. G. Craighead, and P. L. McEuen, "Impermeable Atomic Membranes from Graphene Sheets," Nano Letters, 8 (8), 2458-2462 (2008).
- Garcia-Sanchez, D., A. M. van der Zande, A. San Paulo, B. Lassagne, P. L. McEuen, and A. Bachtold, "Imaging Mechanical Vibrations in Suspended Graphene Sheets," Nano Letters, 8(5), 1399-1403 (2008).
- Frank, I. W., D. M. Tanenbaum, A. M. van der Zande, and P. L. McEuen, “Mechanical Properties of Suspended Graphene Sheets," Journal of Vacuum Sciences and Technology B, Vol 256, 2558-2561, (2007).
- Bunch, J. S., A. M. van der Zande, S. S. Verbridge, I. W. Frank, D. M. Tanenbaum, J. M. Parpia, H. G. Craighead, and P. L. McEuen, “Electromechanical resonators from graphene sheets," Science 315, 490 (2007).
- Sadowski, P.A., A.M. van der Zande, and S. Westerhoff, “Geometry and optics calibration for air fluorescence detectors using starlight,” Astroparticle Physics 18 (2002) 23.
- BIOE 497 - Individual Study
- ME 370 - Mechanical Design I
- ME 586 - Mechanics of MEMS
- ME 598 - Mechanics of 2D Nanomaterials
- ME 598 - Nano-Fab & Characterization