- University of California, San Diego. Ph.D in Computer Engineering. Department of Computer Science & Engineering. September 2006.
Rakesh Kumar is an Associate Professor in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. His current research interests are in computer architecture, low power, trustworthy and error resilient computer systems, and approximate computing. His research and teaching have been recognized through several best paper awards and best paper award nominations (IEEE MICRO Top Picks, ASPLOS, HPCA, CASES, SELSE, IEEE CAL, SRC TECHCON), Stanley H Pierce Award, Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Samman, Ronald W Pratt Faculty Outstanding Teaching Award, Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising, ARO Young Investigator Award, Arnold O Beckman Research Award, FAA Creative Research Award, and UCSD CSE Best Dissertation Award. He also previously served as a Co-Founder and Chief Architect at Hyperion Core, Inc, a microprocessor startup aimed at bringing polymorphous grid processor technology to the market. Rakesh has a BS from IIT Kharagpur and a PhD from University of California at San Diego.
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Associate Professor, August 2013 - .
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Assistant Professor, Jan 2007-August 2013.
Major Consulting Activities
- Co-Founder and Chief Architect. Hyperion Core, Inc.
Our work spans all layers of the computing stack - circuits, architectures, compilers, systems, and applications. A typical member of the PASSAT group is creative, hardworking, motivated, and ambitious. He/she has strong programming skills, with a background in circuits, CAD, or computer architecture. He/she is open to learning new skills and considers hard problems as particularly interesting. Students who do not fit the above profile are, in general, not good fits.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
I am looking for motivated undergraduate students to join my group. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to do research in computer architecture, reconfigurable computing, or hardware/software interface. See our research/publications pages (http://passat.crhc.uiuc.edu) for a sampling of our research. Please attach your CV as well.
- Fault tolerance, reliability
- Low power and complexity-effective designs
- CAD/architecture interactions
- Computer Architecture
- Computer architecture
- Fault tolerance and reliability
- Hardware systems
- Stanley H Pierce Faculty Award. 2018.
- Ronald W. Pratt Faculty Outstanding Teaching Award. 2016.
- Invited Lecturer. ACACES summer school (also called the HiPEAC summer school). Fiuggi. Italy. July 2016.
- Invited Visiting Lecturer. The 4th International Summer School on Computer Science. School of Computer, National University of Defense Technology (NUDT). China. July 2011.
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent. Spring 2013. Spring 2015. Fall 2016.....
- IEEE MICRO Top Picks Award. 2018. (Recognizes the 12 best papers published in 2017 in computer architecture conferences)
- Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Samman. 2018.
- Best Paper Award. 22nd ACM International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems. 2017.
- Distinguished Lecture Series Speaker. IBM Research - India. (2016)
- Best Paper. SELSE. The 12th Workshop on Silicon Errors in Logic – System Effects. 2016.
- Best Paper in Session Award. SRC TECHCON 2015.
- Wilson Lecture. ECE Department. University of Minnesota (2014).
- Best Paper in Session Award. SRC TECHCON 2014.
- Best of IEEE Computer Architecture Letters. 2013.
- Keynote Speaker. The Workshop on Stochastic Modelling and Computing for Weather and Climate Prediction. March, 2013.
- Keynote Speaker. The 7th Workshop on Compiler Assisted SoC Assembly (CASA). 2012.
- ARO Young Investigator Award, 2012
- Best Paper Award Nomination. The 18th International Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA), 2012.
- Keynote Speaker. The 2nd Workshop on Resilient Architectures(WRA). 2011.
- Best Paper Award. International Conference on Compilers, Architectures, and Synthesis of Embedded Systems (CASES). 2011.
- Best Paper in Session Award. SRC TECHCON. 2011.
- Keynote Speaker. The 5th Workshop on Dependable and Secure Nanocomputing (WSDN). 2011.
- Keynote Speaker. The 4th IEEE Workshop on Low Power Design Impact on Test and Reliability. 2011.
- Arnold O Beckman Research Award, 2009
- FAA Creative Research Award, 2008
- UC San Diego CSE Dissertation Award, 2007. Nominated for ACM Distinguished Dissertation Award.
- IBM PhD Fellowship, 2005-2006
- Jagdish Bose National Science Talent Search (JBNSTS) scholarship, 1997-2001
- Engineering Council Outstanding Advising Award (2018)
- Engineering Council Outstanding Advising Award (2017)
- Engineering Council Outstanding Advising Award (2016.)
- Engineering Council Outstanding Advising Award (2013)
- CS 597 - Individual Study
- CS 599 - Thesis Research
- CSE 521 - Computer Architecture
- ECE 297 - Individual Study
- ECE 396 - Honors Project
- ECE 397 - Individual Study in ECE
- ECE 411 - Computer Organization & Design
- ECE 445 - Senior Design Project Lab
- ECE 496 - Senior Research Project
- ECE 499 - Senior Thesis
- ECE 511 - Computer Architecture
- ECE 596 - Master's Project
- ECE 597 - Individual Study in ECE
- ECE 599 - Thesis Research