- Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2006
Romit Roy Choudhury is an Associate Professor of ECE at the University of Illinois at Urbana
Champaign (UIUC). He joined UIUC from Fall 2013, prior to which he was an Associate Professor at
Duke University. Romit received his PhD in the CS department of UIUC in Fall 2006. His research
interests are in wireless protocol design mainly at the PHY/MAC layer, and in mobile computing
at the application layer. Along with his students, he received a few research awards, including the
Sigmobile Rockstar Award, IBM Faculty Research Award, NSF CAREER Award, the Google Faculty Award,
best paper at Personal Wireless Communications conference, Hoffmann Krippner Award for Engineering
Innovations, etc. Visit Romit's Systems Networking Research Group (SyNRG), at http://synrg.csl.illinois.edu
- Assistant Professor, ECE and CS, Duke University, 2006 to 2011.
- Visiting Researcher, Microsoft Research, Redmond, Summer 2010
- Associate Professor, ECE and CS, Duke University, 2011 to 2013
- Visiting Researcher, Intel, Santa Clara, Summer 2016
Other Professional Activities
- Research Group: http://synrg.ee.duke.edu/index.htm
- Homepage: http://web.engr.illinois.edu/~croy/
Other Undergraduate Advising Activities
- Feedback Friday (a forum for PhD students to receive research feedback from a panel of Computer Engineering faculty)
Romit's research interests are in wireless networking and protocol design mainly at the PHY/MAC layer, and in mobile computing at the application layer.
In wireless networking, our research is focussed on exploiting physical layer (PHY) capabilities towards wireless protocol design, often on the software radio platforms.
In mobile computing, we envision mobile smartphones (and emerging wearable devices) as a convergent platform for sensing, computing, and communications.
Our goal is to integrate these three capabilities thereby enabling new classes of personal and collaborative applications and technologies.
- Wireless Networking, Mobile Computing, IoT, Mobile Sensing
- Cloud computing
- Computer networking
- Distributed algorithms
- Networking and distributed computing
- Wireless communication systems
- Autonomous vehicular technology, UAVs
- Cyberphysical systems and internet of things
- Cybersecurity and privacy
- Data science and analytics
- Distributed computing and storage systems
- Human computer interactions
- Network science and engineering
- Sensing systems
- Smart infrastructures
- Socio-technical systems and networking
- Wearable and mobile computing
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Bringing IoT to Sports Analytics, Mahanth Gowda, Sheng Shen, Ashutosh Dhekne, Romit Roy Choudhury, NSDI, March 2017
- BackDoor: Making Smartphones Hear Inaudible Sounds, Nirupam Roy, Haitham Hassanieh, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM MobiSys, June 2017
- DroneNet: Using Drones as Cell Tower Extensions, Ashutosh Dhekne, Mahanth Gowda, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM HotMobile 2017
- Ripple II: Faster Communications through Physical Vibrations, Nirupam Roy, Romit Roy Choudhury, NSDI, March 2016.
- Low Bandwidth Offload for Mobile AR, Puneet Jain, Justin Manweiler, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM CoNEXT, December 2016.
- Compressing Backoff in CSMA Networks, Mahanth Gowda, Nirupam Roy, Romit Roy Choudhury, Srihari Nelakuditi, IEEE ICNP, November 2016.
- Tracking Drone Orientation with Multiple GPS Receivers, M. Gowda, J. Manweiler, A. Dhekne, R. Roy Choudhury, J. Weisz, ACM MobiCom, October 2016.
- AutoLabel: Labeling Places from Pictures and Websites, Rufeng Meng, Sheng Shen, Romit Roy Choudhury, Srihari Nelakuditi, ACM UbiComp, September 2016.
- Listening through a Vibration Motor, Nirupam Roy, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM MobiSys, June 2016.
- I am a Smartwatch and I can Track my User’s Arm, Sheng Shen, He Wang, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM MobiSys, June 2016.
- If WiFi APs Could Move: A Measurement Study, Mahanth Gowda, Ashutosh Dhekne, Romit Roy Choudhury, WWW, April 2016.
- Communicating through Physical Vibrations, Nirupam Roy, Mahanth Gowda, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM NSDI 2015
- MoLe: Motion Leaks through Smartwatch Sensors, He Wang, Ted Tsung-Te Lai, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM MobiCom, September 2015.
- Your Daily Activity is Your Password, Sourav Dandapat, Swadhin Pradhan, Bivas Mitra, Romit Roy Choudhury, Niloy Ganguly, ACM CHI 2015
- Visual Addressing and Applications, He Wang, Xuan Bao, Romit Roy Choudhury, Srihari Nelakuditi, ACM MobiSys 2015
- OverLay: Practical Mobile Augmented Reality,Puneet Jain, Justin Manweiler, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM MobiSys 2015
- Experiences with eNav: A Low-power Vehicular Navigation System, Shaohan Hu, Lu Su, Shen Li, Shiguang Wang, Chenji Pan, Siyu Gu, Md Tanvir Amin, Hengchang Liu, Suman Nath, Romit Roy Choudhury, Tarek F. Abdelzaher, ACM UbiComp, September 2015.
- Indoor Localization: Experiences and Lessons Learnt, Dimitrios Lymberopoulos, Jie Liu, Souvik Sen, Xue Yang, Romit Roy Choudhury, Vlado Handziski, ACM/IEEE IPSN 2015
- SemanticSLAM: Using Environment Landmarks for Unsupervised Indoor Localization, H. Abdelnasir, R. Samir, A. Elgohary, M. Alzantot, H. Wang, S. Sen, R. Roy Choudhury, M. Youssef, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2015.
- Infrastructure Mobility: A What-If Analysis, Mahanth Gowda, Nirupam Roy, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM Hotnets 2014
- Backing Out of Linear Backoff in Wireless Networks, Mahanth Gowda, Nirupam Roy, Romit Roy Choudhury, Srihari Nelakuditi, ACM HotWireless 2014
- I am a Smartphone and I can Tell my Users Walking Direction, Nirupam Roy, He Wang, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM MobiSys 2014
- AccelPrint: Imperfections of Accelerometers Make Smartphones Trackable, Sanorita Dey, Nirupam Roy, Wenyuan Xu, Romit Roy Choudhury, Srihari Nelakuditi, NDSS 2014
- Your Reactions Suggest You Like the Movie: Automatic Content Rating using Reaction Sensing, Xuan Bao, Songchun Fan, Romit Roy Choudhury, Alex Varshavsky, Kevin Li, ACM UbiComp 2013
- Cooperative Packet Recovery in Enterprise WLANs, Mahanth Gowda, Souvik Sen, Romit Roy Choudhury, Sung-Ju Lee, IEEE Infocom 2013
- No Need to War-Drive: Unsupervised Indoor Localization, He Wang, Souvik Sen, Ahmed Elgohary, M. Farid, Moustafa Youssef, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM MobiSys 2012
- Spot Localization using PHY Layer Information, Souvik Sen, Bozidar Radunovic, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM MobiSys 2012
- Satellites in Our Pockets: An Object Positioning System using Smartphones, Justin Manweiler, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM MobiSys 2012
- Precise Indoor Localization using PHY Layer Information, Souvik Sen, Bozidar Radunovic, Romit Roy Choudhury, Tom Minka, ACM Hotnets 2011
- No Time to Countdown: Backing Off in the Frequency Domain, Souvik Sen, Romit Roy Choudhury, Srihari Nelakuditi, ACM MobiCom 2011
- Avoiding the Rush Hours: WiFi Energy Management for Mobile Devices, Justin Manweiler, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM MobiSys 2011, Nominated for Best Paper Award
- TagSense: A Smartphone based Approach to Automatic Image Tagging, Chuan Qin, Xuan Bao, Romit Roy Choudhury, Srihari Nelakuditi, ACM MobiSys 2011
- Listen (on the Frequency Domain) Before You Talk, Souvik Sen, Romit Roy Choudhury, Srihari Nelakuditi, ACM Hotnets 2010
- Successive Interference Cancellation: A Back-of-the-Envelope Perspective, Souvik Sen, Naveen Santhapuri, Romit Roy Choudhury, Srihari Nelakuditi, ACM Hotnets 2010
- ”Did You See Bob?”: Human Localization using Mobile Phones, Ionut Constandache, Xuan Bao, Martin Azizyan, Romit Roy Choudhury, ACM MobiCom 2010
- CSMA/CN: Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Notiﬁcation, Souvik Sen, Romit Roy Choudhury, Srihari Nelakuditi, ACM MobiCom 2010
- Hiding Stars with Fireworks: Location Privacy through Camouﬂage, J. Meyerowitz, R. Roy Choudhury, ACM MobiCom 2009
- Micro-Blog: Sharing and Querying Content through Mobile Phones and Social Participation, Shravan Gaonkar, Jack Li, Romit Roy Choudhury, Landon Cox, Al Schmidt, ACM MobiSys 2008
- Deafness: A MAC Problem in Ad Hoc Networks when using Directional Antennas, Romit Roy Choudhury, Nitin Vaidya, IEEE ICNP 2004
- Using Directional Antennas for Medium Access Control in Ad Hoc Networks, Romit Roy Choudhury, X. Yang, Ram Ramanathan and Nitin Vaidya, ACM MobiCom 2002
- NSF Career Award, 2007
- Hoffmann Krippner Engineering Innovations Award, 2009
- Google Faculty Research Award, 2013
- Honorable Mention for the Best Paper Award, ACM UbiComp 2013
- 2015 IBM Faculty Research Award
- Campus List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students, Fall 2015!
- 2015 ACM Sigmobile Rockstar Award
- 2016 Distinguished Alumni Award from the Department of CS, UIUC
- Named Jerry Sanders III AMD Inc. Scholar, 2017
- Best Paper Award, ACM MobiSys 2017
- 2018 Google Faculty Research Award
- CS 438 - Communication Networks
- CS 439 - Wireless Networks
- ECE 438 - Communication Networks
- ECE 439 - Wireless Networks
- ECE 498 - Mobile Sensing, Comp, and Appl
- ECE 498 - Smartphone Computing & Appl.
- ECE 498 - Smartphone computing and Appli
- ECE 598 - Mobile Sensing & Sensor Fusion