For more information
- 1989 Ph.D. Department of Chemistry, Northwestern University
- Bioelectronics and Bioinformatics
- Data science and analytics
- Electronics, Plasmonics, and Photonics
- Healthcare and medical technologies
- Medical imaging
- Micro & nanoelectromechanical M/NEMS integrated systems
- Nanomedicine and bio-nanotechnology
- Photonics: optical engineering and systems
- Point-of-care diagnostics
- Sensing systems
Chapters in Books
- A. Agwaral, T. Sathe, S. M. Nie, “Nanoparticle probes for ultrasensitive molecular detection and imaging,” an invited chapter in “Single-Molecule and Single Cell Analysis,” 2005.
Selected Articles in Journals
- A. M. Smith, L. A, Lane and S. M. Nie, “Mapping the Spatial Distribution of Charge Carriers in Quantum- Confined Heterostructures,” Nature Communications, 5, 4506 (doi:10.1038/ncomms5506), 2014.
- A. M. Smith, A. M. Mohs, and S. M. Nie, “Tuning the optical and electronic properties of colloidal nanocrystals by lattice strain,” Nature Nanotechnology, 4, 56-63, 2009.
- X. M. Qian, X.H. Peng, D. O. Ansari, Q. Yin-Goen, G. Z. Chen, D. M. Shin, L. Yang, A. N. Young, M. D. Wang, and S. M. Nie, “In-vivo tumor targeting and spectroscopic detection with surface-enhanced Raman nanoparticle tags,” Nature Biotechnology, 26, 83-90, 2008.
- Y. Xing, M. D. Wang, and S. M. Nie, “Bioconjugated Quantum Dots for Multiplexed and Quantitative Immunohistochemistry,” Nature Protocols, 2, 1152-1165, 2007.
- X. Gao, Y. Cui, R. M. Levenson, L. W. K. Chung, and S. M. Nie, In-vivo cancer targeting and imaging with semiconductor quantum dots, Nature Biotechnology, 22, 969-976, 2004.
- M. Y. Han, X. Gao, J. Z. Su, and S. M. Nie, Quantum-Dot-Tagged Microbeads for Multiplexed Optical Coding of Biomolecules, Nature Biotechnology, 19, 631-635, 2001.
- W. C. W. Chan and S. M. Nie, Quantum dot bioconjugates for ultrasensitive nonisotopic detection, Science, 281, 2016-2018, 1998.
- S. M. Nie and S. R. Emory, Probing single molecules and single nanoparticles by surface-enhanced Raman scattering, Science, 275, 1102-1106, 1997.
- S. M. Nie, D. T. Chiu, and R. N. Zare, Probing individual molecules with confocal fluorescence microscopy, Science, 266, 1018-1021, 1994.
- Nanotechnology Advisory Committee, nGimat, Atlanta, GA
- Founding SAB Member – Nanoplex Technologies, Mountain View, CA
Recent Courses Taught
- BIOE 479 - Cancer Nanotechnology
- BIOE 497 NIE - Individual Study
- BIOE 498 NIE (BIOE 498 NIO) - Surgical Technologies
- BIOE 598 AMS (BIOE 598 NIE, BIOE 598 NIO) - Surgical Technologies