For more information
- Ph.D. Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin, Madison 1983
- Biomedical Engineering Society, 2008 - present
Graduate course BIOE 504 "Analytic Methods for Bioengineering" is a core course taken by all bioengineering graduate students. The goal is to review mathematical and computation methods applied to biological systems design and evaluation. It includes linear systems, probability, random processes, differential equations, control systems, and data modeling.
Undergraduate course BIOE 198 "Bioemedical Data Analysis" is an introduction to computing, statistics, and data management based in Matlab.
- BIOE 198 - Data Analytics (UIUC) - 2018 to present
- BIOE 504 - Analytical Methods in Bioengineering (UIUC) - 2006 to present
Laboratory research focuses on the development of novel ultrasonic instrumentation and methods for imaging soft tissue microstructure, viscoelasticity and blood flow. The goal is to understand basic mechanisms of cancerous lesion formation, metastatic progression, responses to therapy, and sources of image contrast. Research includes the fundamentals of imaging system design and performance evaluation, signal processing, detection and estimation. The lab uses polymer hydrogels to develop models of visco- and poroelastic behavior of soft tissues for cancer imaging. Insana's lab also investigates spatio-temporal filtering for noise reduction and enhanced spatial resolution with applications in breast elasticity imaging and arterial-wall shear-stress estimation.
Graduate Research Opportunities
I supervise 5 graduate students. We continue to publish together, attend conferences, and I graduate an average of 1 MS or PhD student each year.
- Medical imaging systems development particularly for applications breast cancer, vascular disease, and kidney disease. Ultrasonics, signal processing, signal detection, elasticity imaging, soft tissue biomechanics, polymer mechanics, complex system modeling.
- Image, video, and multimedia processing and compression
- Signal detection and estimation
- Bioelectronics and Bioinformatics
- Data/Information Science and Systems
- Decision science
- Imaging science and systems
- Machine learning
- Medical imaging
Books Edited or Co-Edited (Original Editions)
- M.F. Insana and S.A. Wickline (editors), Proceedings of the IEEE, Volume 96, No. 3, Special Issue: "Multimodality Biomolecular Imaging", March Issue 2008.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Zhang H, Lu T, Zhang Q, Zhou Y, Zhu H, Harms J, Yang X, Wan M, Insana M.F., Solutions to ramp-hold dynamic oscillation indentation tests for assessing the viscoelasticity of hydrogel by Kelvin-Voigt fractional derivative modeling, Mech. Mater., 148, 103431, 2020.
- Bayat M, Nabavizadeh A, Nayak R, Webb JM, Gregory AV, Meixner DD, Fazzio RT. Insana MF, Alizad A, Fatemi M, Multi-parameter sub-Hertz analysis of viscoelasticity with quality metrics for differentiation of breast masses, Ultrasound Med Biol., 46(12):3393-3403, 2020.
- Hoerig C, Ghaboussi J, Insana MF, Data-driven elasticity imaging using Cartesian neural network constitutive models and the autoprogressive method, IEEE Trans Med Imaging 38(5):1150-1160, 2019.
- Kim M-W, Zhu Y, Hedhli J, Dobrucki LW, Insana MF, Multi-dimensional clutter filter optimization for ultrasonic perfusion imaging, IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelec Freq Control, 65(11): 2020-2029, 2018.
- Coussot, C, Kalyanam, S, Yapp RD, Insana, MF, "Fractional derivative models for ultrasonic characterization of polymer and breast tissue viscoelasticity," IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferro Freq Contrl 56:715-26, 2009.
- Yapp RD, Insana MF, "pH-induced contrast in viscoelasticity imaging of biopolymers," Phys Med Biol 54:1089-1109, 2009.
- Qiu Y, Sridhar M, Tsou JK, Lindfors KK, Insana MF, "Ultrasonic viscoelasticity imaging of nonpalpable breast tumors: preliminary results," Academic Radiol, 15:1526-33, 2008.
- Insana MF, Wickline SA, "Multimodality biomolecular imaging," , Proc IEEE, vol 96, pp 378-81, 2008.
- Tsou JK, Gower RM, Ting HJ, Schaff UY, Insana MF, Passerini AG, Simon SI, "Spatial regulation of inflammation by human aortic endothelial cells in a linear gradient of shear stress," Microcirculation 15:311-23, 2008.
- Tsou JK, Simon SI, Barakat AI, Insana MF, "Role of ultrasonic shear rate estimation errors in assessing inflammatory response and vascular risk," Ultrasound Med Biol, 34: 963-972, 2008.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Insana MF, "Statistical ultrasonics: the influence of Robert F. Wagner," Proc SPIE Medical Imaging: Image Perception, Observer Performance, and Technology Assessment, vol. 7263, pp. 72630E1-6, 2009.
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Trans Medical Imaging (2015-2020).
- Biomedical Engineering Society, 2008 -
Service on Department Committees
- Interim Department Head, Bioengineering (2008-2010)
- Life Fellow of the IEEE - 2020 (2020)
- Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America - 2009
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics - 1999
- BIOE 198 - Biomedical Data Analysis
- BIOE 497 - Individual Study
- BIOE 504 - Analytical Methods in Bioeng
- BIOE 598 - Special Topics