For more information
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, California Institute of Technology, 2014
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, California Institute of Technology, 2012
- B.Tech., Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, 2009
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Cornell University, ECE, Aug 2014 - Dec 2015
- Assistant Professor, UIUC, ECE, Jan 2016 - present
- Transportation Electrification
- Data-Driven Analysis and Control of Dynamical Systems
- Electricity Market Design
- Renewable Integration
- Dynamics and stability of power systems
- Energy system economics and public policy
- Networked control systems
- Operation and control of power systems
- Stochastic systems and control
- Electric transportation
Chapters in Books
- Some Emerging Challenges in Electricity Markets, S. Bose, S. H. Low. Accepted for publication in Springer volume on "Smart Grid Control: Overview and Research Opportunities," edited by Jakob Stoustrup, Anuradha Annaswamy, Aranya Chakrabortty and Zhihua Qu.
Selected Articles in Journals
- A Stochastic Primal-Dual Method for Optimization with Conditional Value at Risk Constraints. A. N. Madavan and S. Bose, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, vol. 190, pp. 428-460, 2021.
- Centralized Volatility Reduction for Electricity Markets. K. Alshehri, S. Bose, and T. Basar. Accepted in the International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, 2021.
- Quantifying Market Efficiency Impacts of Aggregated Distributed Energy Resources, K. Alshehri, M. Ndrio, S. Bose, and T. Basar, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 4067-4077, 2020.
- On the Role of a Market Maker in Networked Cournot Competition, D. Cai, S. Bose, and A. Wierman. INFORMS Mathematics of Operations Research, vol., 44, no. 3, pp. 1122-1144, 2019.
- Offer Strategies for Wholesale Energy and Regulation Markets, D. Fooladivanda, H. Xu, A. Dominguez-Garcia, and S. Bose, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 7305-7308, 2018.
- Convergence of the Iterates in Mirror Descent Methods, T. T. Doan, S. Bose, D. H. Nguyen, and Carolyn L. Beck, IEEE Control Systems Letters, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 114 - 119, 2019.
- On Robust Tie-line Scheduling in Multi-Area Power Systems, Y. Guo, S. Bose, L. Tong, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 4144-4154, 2018
- Optimal Placement of Distributed Energy Storage in Power Networks, C. Thrampoulidis, S. Bose, and B. Hassibi. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 416-429, 2015.
- Equivalent Relaxations of Optimal Power Flow, S. Bose, S. Low, T. Teeraratkul, B. Hassibi. IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control 2015, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 729-742.
- A Unifying Market Power Measure for Deregulated Transmission-Constrained Electricity Markets, S. Bose, C. Wu, Y. Xu, A. Wierman, H. Mohsenian-Rad. IEEE Trans. on Power Systems 2014, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 2338-2348.
- Quadratically Constrained Quadratic Programs on Acyclic Graphs with application to Power Flow, S. Bose, D. F. Gayme, K. M. Chandy, S. Low. IEEE Trans. on Control of Network Systems 2014, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 278 - 287.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- A Scalar-Parameterized Mechanism For Two-Sided Markets. M. Ndrio, K. Alshehri, S. Bose, Accepted at the IFAC World Congress, 2020. (Preprint available)
- On Privatizing Equilibrium Computation in Aggregate Games over Networks. S. Gade, A. Winnicki, S. Bose. Accepted at the IFAC World Congress, 2020. (Preprint available)
- Powering Electric Aircraft at O'Hare Airport: A Case Study. B. Hou, S. Bose, K, Haran. Accepted for presentation at the IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, 2020. (Preprint available)
- On Convex Relaxation-Based Distribution Locational Marginal Prices, A. Winnicki, M. Ndrio, S. Bose. Presented at the Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT), 2020. (Preprint available)
- Risk-Sensitive Energy Procurement with Uncertain Wind, A. N. Madavan, S. Bose. Proceedings of the IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing (GlobalSIP), 2019.
- Ridesharing Systems with Electric Vehicles, T. Mamalis, S. Bose, L. R. Varshney. Proceedings of the American Control Conference, 2019.
- Coordinated Transaction Scheduling in Multi-Area Power Systems with Strategic Participants, M. Ndrio, S. Bose, Y. Guo, L. Tong. IEEE PES General Meeting, 2019. Won the best paper award.
- Risk-Sensitive Security-Constrained Economic Dispatch via Critical Region Exploration, A. N. Madavan, S. Bose, Y. Guo, L. Tong. Proceedings of the IEEE PES General Meeting, 2019.
- Business-to-Peer Carsharing Systems with Electric Vehicles, T. Mamalis, S. Bose, L. R. Varshney. Proceedings of the Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, 2019.
- The Impact of Aggregating Distributed Energy Resources on Electricity Market Efficiency, K. Alshehri, M. Ndrio, S. Bose, T. Basar. Proceedings of the Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, 2019. (Preprint available)
- On the efficiency of networked Stackelberg competition, Y. Xu, D. Cai, S. Bose, A. Wierman. Proceedings of the Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, 2017.
- Cash-settled options for wholesale electricity markets, K. Alshehri, S. Bose, T. Basar. Proceedings of the World Congress of the International Federation of Automatic Control, 2017.
- A Bound on the Minimum Rank of Solutions to Sparse Linear Matrix Equations, R. Louca, S. Bose, E. Bitar. Proceedings of the American Control Conference, 2016.
- Variability and the Locational Marginal Value of Energy Storage, S. Bose, E. Bitar. Proceedings of the IEEE Annual Conference on Decision and Control, 2014.
- A Unifying Approach to Assessing Market Power in Deregulated Electricity Markets, C. Wu, S. Bose, A. Wierman, H. Mohsenian-Rad. Proceedings of the IEEE Power and Engineering Society General Meeting, 2013.
- Optimal power flow over tree networks, S. Bose, D. F. Gayme, S. Low, K. M. Chandy. Proceedings of Allerton Conference on Communication Control and Computing, 2011.
- Emerging Challenges in the Coordination of Distributed Energy Resources
- Market Design for Prosumers on the Distribution Grid
- Modeling And ManagingThe Spread Of COVID-19
- On pricing non-convexities via convex relaxation
- Risk-Sensitive Economic Dispatch: Theory and Algorithms
- Risk-Sensitive Market Clearing for the Modern Power System
- Risk-Sensitive Market Design For The Modern Power Grid
- Risk-Sensitive Market Design for the Power Grid
- Assessing Market Power in Deregulated Electricity Markets, S. Bose, C. Wu, H. Mohsenian-Rad, A. Wierman
- Co-author of a paper among the best conference papers submitted to the IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting (2019)
- Co-author of a Prize Paper at the IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting (2019)
Recent Courses Taught
- ECE 330 - Power Ckts & Electromechanics
- ECE 490 (CSE 441) - Introduction to Optimization
- ECE 530 - Large-Scale System Analysis
- ECE 576 - Power System Dynm & Stability
- ECE 598 SB1 - Electricity Markets