Ashlynn S. Stillwell
For more information
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 2013
- M.P.Aff. Public Affairs, The University of Texas at Austin, 2010
- M.S. Environmental and Water Resources Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 2010
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Missouri-Columbia, 2006
Dr. Ashlynn S. Stillwell is an Associate Professor and the Elaine F. and William J. Hall Excellence Faculty Scholar in Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Her research focuses on creating sustainable water and energy systems in a policy-relevant context. She earned a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Missouri (2006), and an M.S. in Environmental and Water Resources Engineering (2010), M.P.Aff in Public Affairs (2010), and Ph.D. in Civil Engineering (2013) from The University of Texas at Austin. Her previous work experience includes consulting engineering at Burns & McDonnell (2006-2007) and policy research at the Congressional Research Service (2009). Dr. Stillwell received the National Science Foundation CAREER award and the UCOWR Early Career Award for Applied Research for her research work on the energy-water nexus. She was honored with the 2015 Girl Scouts of Central Illinois Woman of Distinction Award in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, the 2018 Rose Award for Teaching Excellence, and the 2018 AEESP Award for Outstanding Teaching in Environmental Engineering and Science. Dr. Stillwell has also been among the List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students at Illinois. She serves as Chair of the Board of Directors for the Girl Scouts of Central Illinois and was previously Chair of the Board of Directors of Faith in Place.
- urban water and energy sustainability; electricity and water resources; green stormwater infrastructure; energy, water, and carbon policy analysis
Selected Articles in Journals
- Christopher M. Chini and Ashlynn S. STILLWELL. (2019) "The Metabolism of U.S. Cities 2.0." Journal of Industrial Ecology, 23(6), pp. 1353-1362.
- Christopher M. Chini, Lucas A. Djehdian, William Naggaga Lubega, and Ashlynn S. STILLWELL. (2018) "Virtual Water Transfers of the U.S. Electric Grid." Nature Energy, 3(12), pp. 1115-1123.
- Christopher M. Chini and Ashlynn S. STILLWELL. (2018) "The State of U.S. Urban Water: Data and the Energy-Water Nexus." Water Resources Research, 54(3), pp. 1796-1811.
- Reshmina William, Jugal Garg, and Ashlynn S. STILLWELL. (2017) "A game theory analysis of green infrastructure stormwater management policies." Water Resources Research, Special Issue on "Socio-hydrology: Spatial and Temporal Dynamics of Coupled Human-Water Systems," 53(9), pp. 8003-8019.
- Christopher M. Chini, Megan Konar, and Ashlynn S. STILLWELL. (2017) "Direct and indirect urban water footprints of the United States." Water Resources Research, 53(1), pp. 316-327.
- Christopher M. Chini, Kelsey L. Schreiber, Zachary A. Barker, and Ashlynn S. STILLWELL. (2016) "Quantifying Energy and Water Savings in the U.S. Residential Sector." Environmental Science & Technology, 50(17), pp. 9003-9012.
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors; 2013-present
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Environmental and Water Resources Institute; 2012-present; Past Chair of Sustainability Committee (Chair of Sustainability Committee 2016-2017); Past Chair of Environmental and Water Resources Systems Committee (Chair of Environmental and Water Resources Systems Committee 2020-2021); Member of Energy & Environment Nexus committee
Other Outside Service
- Faith in Place; Chair (2016-2019), Board of Directors, 2013-2019
- Girl Scouts of Central Illinois; Chair (2020-2022), Board of Directors, Coordinator for annual "Girl Power" STEM event at Abbott Power Plant, 2015-2022
- Award for Outstanding Teaching in Environmental Engineering and Science (8/14/2018)
- Rose Award for Teaching Excellence (4/23/2018)
- Elaine F. and William J. Hall Excellence Faculty Scholar in Civil and Environmental Engineering (5/28/2019)
- Early Career Award for Applied Research (4/5/2019)
Public Service Honors
- Amy L. Devine Award (for contribution to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, engineering students, and the engineering profession) (1/22/2018)
- Girl Scouts of Central Illinois Woman of Distinction in the area of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (4/22/2015)
Recent Courses Taught
- CEE 340 - Energy and Global Environment
- CEE 350 - Water Resources Engineering
- CEE 433 - Water Technology and Policy
- CEE 498 WT3 (CEE 498 WT4) - Water Technology & Policy
- CEE 595 EWS - EWES Seminar
- CEE 598 SH - Stochastic Hydrology