Teaching Assistant Professor
3046 Electrical & Computer Eng Bldg
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of Illlinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2004
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Illlinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2000
- Engineer (B.Sc.), Electronics and Communications, ITESM-CCM, 1997
- Visiting Lecturer, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA, Jan. 2011 - December 2012.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, York University, Canada, Sept. 2007 - June 2009
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Chemical Physics Theory Group , University of Toronto, Canada, Sept. 2007 - June 2009
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Saskatchewan, Canada, Sept. 2006 - Aug. 2007
- Sessional Lecturer, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Saskatchewan, Canada, Sept. 2004 - Dec. 2006
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Mathematical Sciences Group, University of Saskatchewan, Canada, Sept. 2004 - Aug. 2006
- Applied probability
- Mathematical modeling of polymers and biophysical systems; in particular: - configurational and statistical properties of lattice models for polymers - steric stabilization and sensitized flocculation of colloidal dispersions - adsorption and localization of random copolymers - ion transport
Selected Articles in Journals
- J. Alvarez, M. Gara, E. J. Janse van Rensburg, and A. Rechnitzer ''Atmospheric Collapse in Self-Avoiding Walks: A Numerical Study using GARM," J. Stat. Mech., (2009) P12005.
- J. Alvarez and S. G. Whittington, ''Force-extension relations in adsorbing polymers subject to a force," J. Stat. Mech., (2009) P04016.
- J. Alvarez and C. E. Soteros, "Higher Order Morita Approximations for Random Copolymer Localization," Journal of Mathematical Chemistry, 45 (2009) 238-256.
- J. Alvarez and E. J. Janse van Rensburg, ''Directed Paths in a Layered Environment," J. Phys. A: Math. Theor, 41 (2008) 465003.
- J. Alvarez, E. J. Janse van Rensburg, C. E. Soteros, and S. G. Whittington, ''Self-avoiding polygons and walks in slits," J. Phys. A: Math. Theor, 41 (2008) 185004.
- J. Alvarez, E. Orlandini, C. E. Soteros, and S. G. Whittington, ''Higher Order Morita Approximations for Random Copolymer Adsorption," J. Phys. A: Math. Theor , 40 (2007) F289-F298.
- Juan Alvarez and Bruce Hajek, ''Kernel representations for flux and concentration in ion channel models with time-varying concentrations," J. Chem. Phys., Vol. 125, pp. 164703, 2006.
- Juan Alvarez and Bruce Hajek, ''Equivalence of trans paths in ion channels,'' Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 73, pp. 046126, 2006.
- Juan Alvarez and Bruce Hajek, "A queue with semi-periodic traffic", Advances in Applied Probability, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 160-184, March 2005.
- Juan Alvarez and Bruce Hajek, " On the use of packet classes in communication networks to enhance congestion pricing based on marks ", IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 47, Issue 6, pp. 1020-1026, June 2002.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- J. Alvarez and B. Hajek, " Reversible Markov chain models for ion channels", Proceedings of the 38th Annual Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, pp. 1371-1376, March 2004.
- J. Alvarez and B. Hajek, " Observations on using marks for pricing in multiclass packet networks to provide multidimensional QoS", Proceedings of the 2000 Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, Vol. II, pp. TP2-16 to TP2-21, March 2000.
- `` Force, density, and extension relations in adsorbing polymers subject to a force ,'' CanaDAM 2009, , May 25, 2009
- ``Random copolymer adsorption,'' Workshop on Random Polymers, EURANDOM, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, June, 2007
- ``Morita approximations to random copolymer localization,'' CMS Winter 2005 meeting, Victoria, BC, Canada, December, 2005.
- ``Reversible Markov Chain Models for Ion Channels and Equivalence of Trans Paths,'' BIRS Workshop on Mathematical Issues in Molecular Dynamics, Banff, AB, Canada, June, 2005.
Recent Courses Taught
- ECE 210 - Analog Signal Processing
- ECE 211 - Analog Circuits & Systems
- ECE 313 (MATH 362) - Probability with Engrg Applic
- ECE 459 - Communications Systems
- ECE 461 (ECE 361) - Digital Communications
- ECE 463 - Digital Communications Lab