The number of ECE ILLINOIS faculty members.
Students who have been dropped should consult with the Associate Dean in the Office of Academic Programs, 206 Engineering Hall.
|Probation Rule||Why you are on probation||To avoid being dropped||Drop Rule|
|Semester GPA less than 1.0 – drop rule, no probation||Not Possible||17|
|1A||Semester GPA less than 2.0||GPA of 2.0 or better in next semester||17|
|1B||Cumulative GPA between 1.75 and 1.99||GPA of 2.25 or better in next semester||17|
|1C||Cumulative GPA less than 1.75||GPA of 2.33 or better in next semester||17|
|1E, 1G or 1H||Dean's Prerogative
"almost dropped, last chance"
(code depends on GPA to achieve)
|Meet specified GPA||18|
|1P||Departmental probation||Meet specified conditions||18|
|1T||TGPA less than 2.0
(Technical GPA = cumulative GPA
in all ECE courses except ECE 316)
|Bring TGPA over 2.0||18|
|2.25 GPA Rule Courses||This is not a probation rule. However, you may not sign up for ECE 329, 385, 413, 340, etc. if your GPA is less than 2.25 in core courses||Retake courses to bring their average over 2.25. No drop action|
|Cumulative: Adding 1 class at a time (Bold: end result per semester)|
|Class||Hrs||Letter Grade||Num. Grade||Num. Pts||Points Relative to 2 Base (/C)||Hrs||Num. Pts||TGPA||Points Relative to 2 Base (/C)|
|ECE 110||4||C||2||8||0||4||8||2.000||0.000||Semester 1|
|ECE 210||4||D||1||4||-4||12||20||1.667||-4.000||Semester 2|
|ECE 329||3||C+||2.333||7||1||21||37||1.762||-5.000||Semester 3|
|ECE XXX||4||B+||3.333||13.333||5.332||30||59||1.967||-1.000||Semester 4|
*The student repeated ECE 329 without “grade replacement”. The grade is not replaced but counts as if another ECE class has been taken.
* The student is (at least) on 1T probation for two semesters in a row (2, and 3) because the TGPA is below 2.0.
* The student is on the drop list for semester 3 (did not raise TGPA above 2.0): the case is individually reviewed by the chief adviser.
* Should the student be allowed to continue, he/she needs a B in 6.33 hours of ECE classes to get a TGPA of 2, which is achieved in an hypothetical additional semester with 4 hours of B + [4*1.33 (1.33 above a C) = +5.33], and 1 hour of B [1*1.0 (1.0 above a C) = +1].
Could the situation have been prevented?
* The C grade in ECE 110 predicts low grades in ECE classes for semester 2; three ECE classes was not a good idea, and ECE 210 and ECE 329 should not be taken together (as indicated by the pre-requisite prescribed for ECE 329).
* the D- grade in ECE 329 predicts the combination ECE 329+340 will be difficult in semester 3; the student should have postponed ECE 440.